Reserving Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hooks1

Reserving Question

Post by Hooks1 »

I would like to start reserving my strings and need some help in selecting the best material to do it. I have an Equinox with the factory FFF and a Matrix 380. Would Angel Majesty .026 work for both ?
Equinox, Matrix 380
vixenmaster

Re: Reserving Question

Post by vixenmaster »

Some members have had decent luck usin that, i prefer Halo or Brownell crossbow servin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It's the best. Not only tough and abrasion resistant but stays in place well.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Cossack wrote:It's the best. Not only tough and abrasion resistant but stays in place well.
Which one is the best in your opinion, Boris?
Thanks,
Raymond
Hooks1

Post by Hooks1 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to place an order for the suggested serving materials and find works best for me. Hopefully I can get my serving to last longer then the manufactured ones. When I have some shots on them I'll let y'all know If i'm having any luck.
Equinox, Matrix 380
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Raymond wrote:
Cossack wrote:It's the best. Not only tough and abrasion resistant but stays in place well.
Which one is the best in your opinion, Boris?
Thanks,
Raymond
Angel, followed by Halo.I use .026 in Angel and .030 in Halo. Have tried BCY and Brownell's, as a basis for comparison.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Current strings are served with the most durable material available. If you are having problems a different serving will not help. Why don't you post a picture of your failed serving when your string is on the bow?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hooks1

Post by Hooks1 »

Boo wrote:Current strings are served with the most durable material available. If you are having problems a different serving will not help. Why don't you post a picture of your failed serving when your string is on the bow?

On my Equinox I've had two FFF strings last around 250 shots and that is fine. However, I've had three of these strings separate with less than 50 shots and one of them with less than 20 shots. I have removed these servings already and found they are not served properly. The beginning serve as not even placed between the bundles and was only served over about 1/4 inch. They separated around the latches and the ends.

I got about 100 shots on the 380 before I noticed the serving beginning to separate on the right side latch. I have ordered the materials from Valley Tools to polish the latches. No pictures for this either because the serving has been removed. It appeared to have been served correctly.

I will try to serve these strings just as you demonstrate on UTUBE. In removing the servings off both strings, I noticed they are or seem to be different materials and thus my question on what may work with either type of string.

I would appreciate any advise you are willing give, thanks.
Equinox, Matrix 380
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I would appreciate any advise you are willing give
Once you get the serving started between the strands, get your string as tight as you think possible........
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

All current strings are served with 0.035" Angel Majest. If your Equinox string has a thinner serving the the sting is about 2 yrs old.
You won't have easy access to 0.035" Angel Majest so try 0.030" Halo. Put your endless loop string on a jig and serve it with no twists at all. Put it on as tight as possible. I used to break Calavalier serving tools and now use the Outer Limits serving tool. There's no way to explain just how tight but I can tell you that if you break Halo you are a bit too tight.
A real cheap but extremely effective jig can be made from information on my website.
When you first install a new string install it at least 1/2" higher than the highest brace height. That will put more twists in the string and those twists will help prevent serving separation.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hooks1

Post by Hooks1 »

Boo wrote:All current strings are served with 0.035" Angel Majest. If your Equinox string has a thinner serving the the sting is about 2 yrs old.
You won't have easy access to 0.035" Angel Majest so try 0.030" Halo. Put your endless loop string on a jig and serve it with no twists at all. Put it on as tight as possible. I used to break Calavalier serving tools and now use the Outer Limits serving tool. There's no way to explain just how tight but I can tell you that if you break Halo you are a bit too tight.
A real cheap but extremely effective jig can be made from information on my website.
When you first install a new string install it at least 1/2" higher than the highest brace height. That will put more twists in the string and those twists will help prevent serving separation.

Thanks so much Boo, very good information on the Matrix string.
Equinox, Matrix 380