Arrows for a Vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

racking up points

Arrows for a Vixen

Post by racking up points »

I was hoping to get some feedback on good arrow and broadhead combinations for the Vixen. I have thought about running an 85gr. cut-on-contact with 20" GT Lazer II's, but was worried that the 85gr heas would not offer enough FOC. Has anyone tried them? What works best in your Vixen? Thanks.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Dayelight

Re: Arrows for a Vixen

Post by Dayelight »

Well I think vixenmaster is the most appropriate person to answer these questions but I'll take a whack.
Call Danny Miller- 740 483 2312
He'll hook you up with basically whatever you need to get your vixen shooting great. He sells custom arrows for 6 bucks a piece and they get to your door in about 2 days.
Personally, I think 85 grains is too lite but it depends on how heavy your insert is and what your total arrow weight is.
You GT Lazers and BHs sound fine as long as your FOC is good. According to this one article I read, the higher the FOC, the better the penetration.
Honestly, I don't really think you should worry too much about arrow combinations or BHs. As long as the bow shoots well at the ranges you are comfortable with and ur arrow meets the Excal minimum arrow weight. you'll be fine.
I spent so much time trying to find the "perfect" set-up and I finally just ended up calling Mr. Miller for arrows and buying some slick trick magnum BHs.
Good Luck!

Jesse
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Almost any of the common arrows will work fine wid a Vixen. The BEE's are better than the GTII's fer about the same price. 85gr BH's will kill jus as well as the 100gr BH's sometimes they're abit smaller in blade cuttin dia. I always go fer the biggest slice fer the price! Meanin unless yer gettin the 85 gr BH's a good bit cheaper then use the 100's. The Vixen doesn't care which weight or size BH but the arrow vanes may!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

fuzzy wrote:
vixenmaster wrote: The Vixen doesn't care which weight or size BH but the arrow vanes may!

Translation; Arrows fly best when steered from the rear...rocket science 101. The fletch must have a larger diameter than that of the broadhead in order to overcome the "want" of the broadhead to steer from the front. Under fletching causes most "fixed" broadhead flight issues. :) Good luck.
That's why field tips fly better than fixed broadheads and thus why mechanicals fly better . . .or at least it's easier to get them to fly pefectly.

I'd go with more cutting surface . . .85 or 100 grains really makes little difference, very little. I would suggest the 100 gr slick tricks, four bladed broadheads . . .more cutting surface, very well built and accurate. I shoot the Slick Tricks and the Spitfires out of the Vixen.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Can you shoot an 18" arrow with a broadhead from a Vixen?

I've got Magnus BuzzCut's in 85gr, they don't have a huge dia, only 7/8" I believe. Not the greatest dia., but that's what I got for this year...
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

You can even shoot 16 inch arrows in a vixen. I do an they fly great with Magnus broadheads. I havn,t found a broadhead yet that won,t kill deer if you put it the right place :lol:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Masboy wrote:You can even shoot 16 inch arrows in a vixen. I do an they fly great with Magnus broadheads. I havn,t found a broadhead yet that won,t kill deer if you put it the right place :lol:
Several years ago I put a mechanical that failed to open (it was still banded when I recovered the arrow the next day) through a buck's heart. About a 5/8" cut, but the deer still went down within 50-60 yards. :shock:

edited to add:
BTW - I always liked 2213 aluminums in a Vixen. With feather fletching it's easy to come close to minimum weight and the feathers are light weight. I also cut them down to 18" (or less) for the Vixen. Have shot as short as 16" with no problems. Just be very careful to remove the arrow first if you let the bow down by hand or with a rope cocker. And be careful how you pull the arrows from a target! Doesn't take much side pressure to turn a 2213 into a flower pot stake. :lol:
wabi
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

racking up points wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback on good arrow and broadhead combinations for the Vixen. I have thought about running an 85gr. cut-on-contact with 20" GT Lazer II's, but was worried that the 85gr heas would not offer enough FOC. Has anyone tried them? What works best in your Vixen? Thanks.
I'm shooting a QAD Exodus broadhead out of my wife's Vixen and it is shooting great. It comes in 85 gr. and 100 gr. and both are 1 1/4 cutting diameter. I haven't shot the 85 gr. but I have the 100. Good Luck with your choice.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote: Several years ago I put a mechanical that failed to open (it was still banded:
Wabi . . I think it's important to note that the broadhead was double banded with O-rings.

Back then it was common to double band the broadheads because of the fear of premature opening. Two of the thin elastic bands worked fine, but, doubling up on the O-rings was too much and prevented the broadhead from opening when passing through muscle/skin.

Mechanicals work great . . .we just needed to figure out how to use them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen