Scope holding zero or me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaveShooter

Scope holding zero or me

Post by DaveShooter »

I've had this Tasco pronghorn 2.5x32 mm scope for years. Killed a lot of deer with this scope on several xcals. Here lately one day shooting and tubing arrows the next day I have to readjust by some clicks to get scope back where it was shooting center x on targets. It sure is weird scope or it could be me as my eyes have changed from medical reasons. I've got a red dot I can put on the bow. But I like a lined crosshair. Thinking about trying a rimfire centerpoint scope just for giggles. Deer season starts in just a little over a month here in Ohio so I got a little time to hopefully come up with a solution. I won't hunt til I get this straightened out don't want to wound a deer do to a bad shot.
8ptbuk

Re: Scope holding zero or me

Post by 8ptbuk »

Try a varizone you'll love it ! Around a100 dollars
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Well I certainly hope it all works out for you.
If money is of any issue for you like it is for me and you dont mind having only three aim points ( 10, 20, & 30 yds ) or depending on how you set it up with the speed ring. Then I really believe that the Hawke Sport HD IR 2-7x32 is the "best bang for your buck" scope you can get. I believe I bought mine from OpticPlanet. The clarity and eye relief is excellent and I also like that it illuminates because we will be hunting in very thick cover this year and there is not much sun light there in morning and evening.
I love mine and it zeroed in perfectly. Just an option if your scope doesnt work out and you decide to buy something different and something for you to think about.
Good luck to you.
Here is the factory link below...
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sport- ... -3030.html
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Lucky-Dog wrote:Well I certainly hope it all works out for you.
If money is of any issue for you like it is for me and you dont mind having only three aim points ( 10, 20, & 30 yds ) or depending on how you set it up with the speed ring. Then I really believe that the Hawke Sport HD IR 2-7x32 is the "best bang for your buck" scope you can get. I believe I bought mine from OpticPlanet. The clarity and eye relief is excellent and I also like that it illuminates because we will be hunting in very thick cover this year and there is not much sun light there in morning and evening.
I love mine and it zeroed in perfectly. Just an option if your scope doesnt work out and you decide to buy something different and something for you to think about.
Good luck to you.
Here is the factory link below...
http://www.hawkeoptics.com/hawke-sport- ... -3030.html
Thanks all for the input and info.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I doubt if a rimfire scope would last long, but am air rifle scope made for the 2-way recoil of a "springer" probably would.
I've used a few different red dot sights over the years and they all held up well on the crossbow.
Finally went to a Leupold shotgun scope a few years ago and I think I'll be using it for many years to come. :)
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:I doubt if a rimfire scope would last long, but am air rifle scope made for the 2-way recoil of a "springer" probably would.
I've used a few different red dot sights over the years and they all held up well on the crossbow.
Finally went to a Leupold shotgun scope a few years ago and I think I'll be using it for many years to come. :)
Hi Wabi I see you are also here in Ohio. The Centerpoint scopes are rated for airgun and on up to a 458 magnum in which I had 2 of them on a Crosman/Benjamin Marauder and Discovery Pcp air rifles. I'm still gonna play with this pronghorn scope just a little more before I change to something else. As to having great luck with it in past deer harvest. Where you at here in Ohio if ya don't mind me asking?
wabi

Post by wabi »

DaveShooter wrote:Hi Wabi I see you are also here in Ohio. The Centerpoint scopes are rated for airgun and on up to a 458 magnum in which I had 2 of them on a Crosman/Benjamin Marauder and Discovery Pcp air rifles. I'm still gonna play with this pronghorn scope just a little more before I change to something else. As to having great luck with it in past deer harvest. Where you at here in Ohio if ya don't mind me asking?
Down in the southwest corner in Adams county.
Just checked the scope (Hawke) on my .22 Discovery yesterday. Getting ready for the opener of squirrel season the 1st of Sept.

wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:
DaveShooter wrote:Hi Wabi I see you are also here in Ohio. The Centerpoint scopes are rated for airgun and on up to a 458 magnum in which I had 2 of them on a Crosman/Benjamin Marauder and Discovery Pcp air rifles. I'm still gonna play with this pronghorn scope just a little more before I change to something else. As to having great luck with it in past deer harvest. Where you at here in Ohio if ya don't mind me asking?
Down in the southwest corner in Adams county.
Just checked the scope (Hawke) on my .22 Discovery yesterday. Getting ready for the opener of squirrel season the 1st of Sept.

Good shooting Wabi looks like you are ready for some bushy tail stew. That Hawke is a good scope from what I been hearing so is the Leupold ya got take care and have a good season. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

wabi wrote:Good shooting Wabi looks like you are ready for some bushy tail stew. That Hawke is a good scope from what I been hearing so is the Leupold ya got take care and have a good season. :D
Actually, I was quite disappointed in the Hawke scope. Not near the quality I expected from all the reviews. The light transmission is not all that great and if the (sun)light is behind me it's hard to see through. It works, but I doubt I'd ever buy another one.
I did try a BSA fixed power to replace the Hawke, but that one was like looking through a fuzzy donut hole. :lol:

I'm beginning to think if you want quality you're going to pay Leupold prices. :roll:
wabi
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You might like this on top of your crossbow.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/550636 ... icle-matte
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wabi wrote:
wabi wrote:Good shooting Wabi looks like you are ready for some bushy tail stew. That Hawke is a good scope from what I been hearing so is the Leupold ya got take care and have a good season. :D
Actually, I was quite disappointed in the Hawke scope. Not near the quality I expected from all the reviews. The light transmission is not all that great and if the (sun)light is behind me it's hard to see through. It works, but I doubt I'd ever buy another one.
I did try a BSA fixed power to replace the Hawke, but that one was like looking through a fuzzy donut hole. :lol:

I'm beginning to think if you want quality you're going to pay Leupold prices. :roll:
I think most optics are really a "Get what you pay for" proposition. The higher the magnification the more so.Some of the inexpensive scopes do fairly well at a low power of magnification, but really come up short as the power goes up. I have shot Leupold scopes on my hunting and target guns for years so I am spoiled by them. Of the cheaper scopes that I have found to be tolerable are the Sightron. The S1's are pretty cheap but decent, the SII's are a pretty nice scope and considerably less than Leupold, the SII Big Sky are fine scopes but nearly Leupold prices, and the SIII's are great scopes but spendy for sure. You can look at Chuck Hawk's review and ratings for most scopes on the internet. Pretty interesting read.fwiw.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Shot again my Vortex today Scope was fine. I think it was just me the times I wasn't shooting so good-Good and bad days shooting if ya know what I mean.
Yea I always heard when you get a scope for a weapon buy one almost as expensive as the weapon you are shooting-Just never could afford those expensive scopes so I made due with what I could afford at that time. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I didn't ask how far it was off when you were missing. I've had 3 scopes fail over the years, and it usually a jump of 6-10" when one goes bad. Unfortunately a couple of those failures happened when I was shooting at a deer. Took a shot before I walked to the stand and was dead-on, shot at a deer and hit it way high in the shoulder area. Not a fatal shot, but It probably hurt for a few days. The other time ended in a complete miss. Both times a shot at a target right after the bad shot confirmed the scope had gone haywire. I could adjust it to hit the bullseye and a few shots later it would jump again. That's why I switched to a Leupold, and it's been fine for the 3-4 years I've used it.
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:I didn't ask how far it was off when you were missing. I've had 3 scopes fail over the years, and it usually a jump of 6-10" when one goes bad. Unfortunately a couple of those failures happened when I was shooting at a deer. Took a shot before I walked to the stand and was dead-on, shot at a deer and hit it way high in the shoulder area. Not a fatal shot, but It probably hurt for a few days. The other time ended in a complete miss. Both times a shot at a target right after the bad shot confirmed the scope had gone haywire. I could adjust it to hit the bullseye and a few shots later it would jump again. That's why I switched to a Leupold, and it's been fine for the 3-4 years I've used it.
Sort of what you had 3 to 6 inches or less. But not always. I did something different in shooting technique yesterday. May of helped and then again only time will tell for sure. I held with a lot tighter grip to steady the bow shooting off-hand. I got familial tremors or shakes in my hands. Funny my Uncle and Grandmother had that problem too shakes that is. Uncle still was one heck of a shot. He would shoot a red fox on the run with a 38 special. Years ago took out 4 deer with that same revolver. Yes this scope situation sure can be perplexing at times for sure, and then again not trying to be an target shooter by any means. Just a good shooting hunter if ya know what I mean. :D