Tirgger Job For Older Bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple leaf

Tirgger Job For Older Bow?

Post by maple leaf »

I have an old Wolverine bow that is amazing to shoot, yet the trigger obviously is not a 2.5 lb pull. I saw those fancy trigger sets that Trigger Tech makes, but for $150 +tx+shipping; I doubt it is worth it for an old bow like this. So my question is, what can I do to make my trigger more responsive at a cheaper cost?

Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: Tirgger Job For Older Bow?

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't knowed where you live but in USA you may call Danny Miller & see if'en he will smooth yer trigger up. Up in Ontario Canada give Boo a shout here on the Forum
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

maple leaf wrote:I have an old Wolverine bow that is amazing to shoot, yet the trigger obviously is not a 2.5 lb pull. I saw those fancy trigger sets that Trigger Tech makes, but for $150 +tx+shipping; I doubt it is worth it for an old bow like this. So my question is, what can I do to make my trigger more responsive at a cheaper cost?

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about making it better. My worry would be ensuring it is safe. Some of the old, old bow triggers were wearing down and I had to send mine in to get rebuilt. If it is working trouble free I would not touch it. Treat it as it is always off safety. That's my advise to you from experience.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

maple leaf wrote:I have an old Wolverine bow that is amazing to shoot, yet the trigger obviously is not a 2.5 lb pull. I saw those fancy trigger sets that Trigger Tech makes, but for $150 +tx+shipping; I doubt it is worth it for an old bow like this. So my question is, what can I do to make my trigger more responsive at a cheaper cost?

Thanks
No one wants a 5 lb + trigger pull! I have my 165 it has the worst Excal trigger i have ever touched, pulls like 7 or 8 lbs or feels that way to me! I am hopin after another 1000 shots it will become decent. I have shot it around 400 times so fer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maple leaf

Post by maple leaf »

No one wants a 5 lb + trigger pull! I have my 165 it has the worst Excal trigger i have ever touched, pulls like 7 or 8 lbs or feels that way to me! I am hopin after another 1000 shots it will become decent. I have shot it around 400 times so fer
That is exactly what mine feels like. It is super heavy, though I have never gauged it. I am a Canadian, and all Excalibur has said is to bring it in and they can put in a replacement trigger for a cost. But I was curious what other options there are out there instead of a $150 trigger job and a factory job (Excalibur wouldn't give a quote unless it was in their hands.)

Thanks for all the comments thus far. BTW, who is Boo?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

maple leaf wrote:
That is exactly what mine feels like. It is super heavy, though I have never gauged it. I am a Canadian, and all Excalibur has said is to bring it in and they can put in a replacement trigger for a cost. But I was curious what other options there are out there instead of a $150 trigger job and a factory job (Excalibur wouldn't give a quote unless it was in their hands.)

Thanks for all the comments thus far. BTW, who is Boo?
Boo is a forum member here that makes strings,and does trigger jobs on Excal bows. Check out boocustomstrings.com. He will be happy to help you. He will also be very truthful about what your options are and expectations should be. He does EXCELLENT work by the way.
maple leaf

Post by maple leaf »

Awesome,
Thanks for all the responses! Great community here :)
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

To smooth out a trigger through use will take a long time shooting arrows.
You can speed up the process by doing this.
Pop in your favourite hunting video to watch.
Grab your crossbow and sit down to exercise the trigger.
Get a piece of dowel roughly the size of a string and pull back to engage the claws.
Pull forward until pressure and pull trigger.
You can get thousands of trigger actions done in no time at all.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I would pop into excal and let them have a look at it! i think you will be surprised at what they charge you to replace it! or take it out and send to Boo another great option!If you let us no where you live it would help to see who is closer to help Boo or Excal
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Peoples! We are talking a trigger from the early 1990's! If it ain't broke in now there is a problem. Oh man! :roll: Never seen a thread with such bad advise. Think what Excalibur is telling you! HINT HINT!
frodo baggins

Post by frodo baggins »

Send it to boo and your problem will be over.My 11 year old exomag has the finest 1.5 lb trigger you could ever want.Its better then my fine bolt rifles even after a gunsmith tweaked it.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

wheelie wrote:Peoples! We are talking a trigger from the early 1990's! If it ain't broke in now there is a problem. Oh man! :roll: Never seen a thread with such bad advise. Think what Excalibur is telling you! HINT HINT!
Wheelie, calm down, go outside and have a real cigarette. :roll:
Just because it is a wolverine does not mean it has had much use to date. :wink:
That's what a rough trigger tells me. :wink:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Gentlemen, like I tell everyone that contacts me. If you feel that you have a legitimate complaint about your trigger contact Excalibur.
These are hunting bows and for that purpose I do not see that a 4 lb trigger is offensive. In a hunting situation you'll never notice it. My Savage 10MLSS-II has a 5 lb trigger and I have no problem whacking deer at extended ranges.
Do yourself a favor if you think you have a legitimate complaint first measure the trigger pull with a decent gauge.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

On a wolverine the trigger travel was the best Excalibur ever made . (just the design of it ) :shock:
My recommendation is contact your warranty rep and have them look at it .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Ont_Excal wrote:
wheelie wrote:Peoples! We are talking a trigger from the early 1990's! If it ain't broke in now there is a problem. Oh man! :roll: Never seen a thread with such bad advise. Think what Excalibur is telling you! HINT HINT!
Wheelie, calm down, go outside and have a real cigarette. :roll:
Just because it is a wolverine does not mean it has had much use to date. :wink:
That's what a rough trigger tells me. :wink:
I may be a little overzealous on this subject but I don't want what happened to me a couple years ago! :D