Shot Placement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dayelight

Shot Placement

Post by Dayelight »

Found an interesting pic I thought Id share with you all. I always freshen up on proper shot placement before season kicks off, which happens to be this Friday for me. This image shows exactly where you need to put your arrow to be able to retrieve you game. I thought it was pretty cool.
I'm getting all my clothes laundered up and doing some last minute scope adjustments. I moved my stand last week, a lot later than I wanted to but I found an awesome trail along with a few rubs, and sharpened up my blades on my slicks.
Happy hunting to you all and stay safe.

Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Normous

Re: Shot Placement

Post by Normous »

I have my eye on the top of the heart. That is a good photo for reference, I might add.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I aim at the crease of the front shoulder up 1/2 way of the deer if its broadsided
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I would aim to where the arra is gonna exit.From 15ft up.So my arra would come out the opposite pocket of deer.But i would have a very lethal shot no doubt .
I'd also wait till it was 1/4 erd away from me to my left.

It's a good sample though.

Your arra will tell you what kind of shot you got .Dark Blood is Heart Shot.Lighter Red with Air Bubble's in it is Lung's .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Yeah I understand all that, Steve. I was posting this up to show everyone else this awesome image I found. I hadn't seen it before and it shows exactly where the vitals are. There are plenty of new folks on this forum that could use it. Heck I hit a deer too far back last year and didn't get to recover it. I spent all night in the woods with a spotlight, along with the next day, searching for that doe. Gave me a sick stomach for a few days to take a life and not be able to recover the animal.
Just dong my part to make sure others don't have to go through the same thing. :wink:
Axiom SMF
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Great picture! I just can,t seem to get away from rifle habits an get away from that shoulder a little more. but I,m trying :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I like the lungs.........
"Eze 18:21"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Masboy wrote:Great picture! I just can,t seem to get away from rifle habits an get away from that shoulder a little more. but I,m trying :D
I never understood the shoulder shot unless your in a swamp and need to drop it for sure right in its tracks, but other than that there is good meat in that shoulder that gets wasted when using a rifle on a shoulder shot.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,m not a shoulder shot man just close behind it an with a bow sometimes I get a little to close an wack the shoulder :D
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

awshucks wrote:I like the lungs.........
my cross hairs are on the lungs!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Dayelight wrote:Yeah I understand all that, Steve. I was posting this up to show everyone else this awesome image I found. I hadn't seen it before and it shows exactly where the vitals are. There are plenty of new folks on this forum that could use it. Heck I hit a deer too far back last year and didn't get to recover it. I spent all night in the woods with a spotlight, along with the next day, searching for that doe. Gave me a sick stomach for a few days to take a life and not be able to recover the animal.
Just dong my part to make sure others don't have to go through the same thing. :wink:
Great picture showing vitals Sorry about your lost deer last year. Had that happen to me back in the 80's sure wasn't fun at all when I had a good blood trail and no recovery of the deer I shot with a recurve bow.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Dayelight wrote: I hadn't seen it before and it shows exactly where the vitals are. There are plenty of new folks on this forum that could use it. Heck I hit a deer too far back last year and didn't get to recover it. I spent all night in the woods with a spotlight, along with the next day, searching for that doe. Gave me a sick stomach for a few days to take a life and not be able to recover the animal.
When a deer is hit too far back, one must resist the temptation to take to the track right away.
When I know it's hit too far back then I leave it for 6 hours minimum or overnight.
Yes there is a chance I would lose it to yotes on the overnight wait but pushing it will mean a lost deer as well.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Thank you for adding Ont_Excal.
Yeah I know not to get up and run after them when you gut shot them but I checked my arrow and the little bit of blood I had and I'm quite certain it was liver.
The area I hunt has a few open spots but most of it is brush. If I had gotten a better blood trail with those p.o.s. Rage BHs I think I would have been able to recover her. The shot was almost straight down into her with a low exit and I didn't have a drop after the arrow exit blood squirt.
Happens to the best of us. That's why I keep on refreshing and making sure my bow is on and of course I haven't used rages since.
Axiom SMF
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Bronzeback

Post by Bronzeback »

Dayelight wrote:Thank you for adding Ont_Excal.
If I had gotten a better blood trail with those p.o.s. Rage BHs
I'm assuming p.o.s. doesn't mean "Point of Sale" in this case...LOL... 8)