Plastic Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BoltCutter

Plastic Nocks

Post by BoltCutter »

I have some flat nocks made of plastic, will these be ok to use?
Ibex SMF
Gold Tip Laser II
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Plastic Nocks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

BoltCutter wrote:I have some flat nocks made of plastic, will these be ok to use?

That's what I use, I've had no problems

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
BoltCutter

Post by BoltCutter »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:
BoltCutter wrote:I have some flat nocks made of plastic, will these be ok to use?

Wes
Great thanks for the help :)
Ibex SMF
Gold Tip Laser II

Post by newbie »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:

Wes
x2 I think they are easier on the serving and rail as well.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've stopped using them. I had an issue with them being too slick or something.

Anyway, I was experiencing partial dry-fires . . .I tried to blame it on a lot of things, but, it stopped happening after I took the plastic nocks off.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MJK

Post by MJK »

I was also wondering about this. I just bought some Easton 2219's and they came with the plastic nocks. One thing you don't have with the plastic is the threads to screw in a bolt puller. They seem to fly fine tho, and I didn't have any hang fires either.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I have also had trouble with them but giving them another try an I like the way they fit an don,t glue my rear nocks in an make sure my serving hits them dead center . I always shot with my retainer spring without a lot of down pressure an now put more pressure on the arrow an squared them good an a little sanding on the sharp edges an doing fine so far. ( knock on wood) an dropped the weight of my 16 inch arrows from 400gr down to 380 gr an fly great.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I've been pretty harsh on my arras with plastic nocks but still have not had an issue.
Aluminum nocks beat up your rail and damaged ones can cut a string or serving.
When you damage a plastic rear nock they are easily replaced on the spot but you can see from my picture that I don't.

Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I've had a partial dry fire twice while using plastic nocks. NEVER had one using aluminum nocks. I use aluminum nocks now. I know a lot of folks get by fine with plastic but I had just as soon not take a chance.fwiw
jh45gun1

Post by jh45gun1 »

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not use them. I lost the ONLY Shot I had a deer last year and a nice buck besides because some one told me here that moon nocks were not recommended with Excal bows. So I filed them flat and level (used a square to check) and I shot several times at the range good so far. Shot at the buck and the string either went over or under the carbon arrow made a hell of a twang and went about 15 yards and dropped. Now I know it was not the bows fault as per-say, it was the flat nock issue with plastic which is slippery. I got so pissed off not getting that buck I went and bought a new Parker Bushwacker and I will only use Capture nocks with it. I see others have remarked here they had dryfire issues as well.
:( :( :(
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Boo

Post by Boo »

How many people use illuminated nocks that are of course made out of plastic?
Considering the number of shots taken without problems I wonder if the issue is that plastic rear nocks are much more sensitive to not being fully seated?

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:How many people use illuminated nocks that are of course made out of plastic?
Considering the number of shots taken without problems I wonder if the issue is that plastic rear nocks are much more sensitive to not being fully seated?
I wonder the same thing. I've put 400-500 shots through my 355 never one hiccup if you don't count the user error forgetting to place an arra on the deck. can I blame that on a plastic nock?
for those who have had partial dry fires how is the nock after? broken or still in one piece?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Boo wrote:How many people use illuminated nocks that are of course made out of plastic?
Ditto :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

This seems to be one of those subjects that no one can agree on, been quite a few threads on this and I thought string diameter was thought to be one of the reasons for this problem, or am i remembering wrong?
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bullzeye wrote:This seems to be one of those subjects that no one can agree on, been quite a few threads on this and I thought string diameter was thought to be one of the reasons for this problem, or am i remembering wrong?
Nope, someone here had that happen with one of my strings and Crazyfarmer's arras. Crazyfarmer left the nocks out to allow the user put in an illuminated nock. The string went over the arra, rippled the two upper vanes and the arra landed some 40 feet away. After a little converstion between Danny Miller, myself and the shooter we found that the edges of the illuminated nock was rounded.
When a string goes over it causes the upper vanes to ripple or leave a bunch of skid marks. If it goes under it tears the cock vane. If the arra is not seated completely there is nothing to see accept the arra on the ground.