Shot Placement

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Re: Shot Placement

Post by sumner4991 »

Good pictures. Most lost deer are hit a little too high. . .at least mine were hit a little too high.

Keep it low.

I like that area in the middle of the lungs where all the arteries are located. Something is getting cut! :mrgreen:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I like middle of the body for elevation and right behind the leg. A little high you still get lungs, and little low you get lungs/heart.

I hunt from the ground primarily.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

I'm assuming p.o.s. doesn't mean "Point of Sale" in this case...LOL... 8)[/quote]

You'd be correct. I can't bash em too hard though. Some guys use em with great results. I am not one of those guys. :lol:
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Dayelight:
I did not mean to be critical. I have had some adventures of my own in this department. All came to a successful conclusion.
FWIW:
Learn about the hair of a deer and you will be able to pinpoint where you hit one.

A liver shot will take some time for the deer to go down, no matter what broadhead you use. What surprised me was how the blood trail quickly vanished.
What saved my day was the 4 inches of fresh snow in one case.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Ont_Excal wrote:Dayelight:
I did not mean to be critical.
I didn't think you did. I've never had anyone on this forum hurt my feelings :cry: . You all are some good folks.
I didn't want to turn this thread into a lost deer post. I was mainly just trying to show the image I found for anyone that needs it.
But to answer your original question the hair I had on the arrow was brown. I saw the impact she wasn't even 10 yards away. That rage made a nice clean entry and passed through. I watched it hit horizontally and I'm assumng it came out horizontally. I credit that for the lack of blood trail. I think if the blades had impacted at a vertical angle there would have been a blood trail much faster...less time to wait for the body cavity to fill with blood. I don't know if theres any truth to it or not but it makes me feel more confident with my other BHs.
15 hours until Im in the stand!
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Dayelight wrote:
Ont_Excal wrote:Dayelight:
I did not mean to be critical.
I didn't think you did. I've never had anyone on this forum hurt my feelings :cry: . You all are some good folks.
I didn't want to turn this thread into a lost deer post. I was mainly just trying to show the image I found for anyone that needs it.
But to answer your original question the hair I had on the arrow was brown. I saw the impact she wasn't even 10 yards away. That rage made a nice clean entry and passed through. I watched it hit horizontally and I'm assumng it came out horizontally. I credit that for the lack of blood trail. I think if the blades had impacted at a vertical angle there would have been a blood trail much faster...less time to wait for the body cavity to fill with blood. I don't know if theres any truth to it or not but it makes me feel more confident with my other BHs.
15 hours until Im in the stand!
Good luck a hunting!!! :D