Make Your own bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Re: Make Your own bolts

Post by prossbow »

I know this is an old thread, but it's very relative. (and suggests that I searched before asking :) )

I've only recently began to shoot nightly, weather permitting, between my Vortex and Bowtech Assassin compound bow. I finally went and got permission from the neighbors, and my brother is getting into archery also so I have someone to shoot with.

I know once you start grouping well it's best to alternate targets, but I just can't help slinging groups of 3 at the same spot. Needless to say vanes get damaged and therefore the need for re-fletching. I don't have intentions to make arrows from blanks, I just want to get set up to do my own re-fletching and try diff color combos etc.

I would like to be able to do both my crossbow and vert bow arrows. I live in Nova Scotia, so more than likely I'll need to purchase from resources on the internet. I'd like to go with the AZ Easy fletch as so many have suggested. Is there one model that will do both size shafts for me?

I plan to stick to blazers and would love to try some wraps, any suggestions for reputable sources for each?

Times are a changin' and most of the threads I've seen are 1-3 years old so I was just looking for the latest and greatest in all of your opinions before I made a costly mistake.

Thank you,

Kevin
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

EZ Fletch will not do both sizes, unfortunately. Also, the Bolt arms will only do 2" vanes. However arms are relatively inexpensive ($15.) and easy to change. You will need the green version for crossbows or aluminum arrows and the blue version for most vertical bow arrows.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Also, if you're just going to be replacing 1-2 vanes at a time, using wraps is out. There's no way that you'll be able to get the old glue and everything off of the wrap without damaging it.

My suggestion would be quit shooting at the same spot more than once. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've been making my own arrows for decades now. I started with cedar shafts, feathers, and a Bitzenberger fletching tool. When I switched to hunting with a crossbow I made my arrows with aluminum shafts, feathers, and the old Bitzenberger, but I soon switched to vanes and an Arizona E-Z fletch for simplicity & durability.

I've also made my own bolts. I have a blacksmith shop with a forge, anvil, and a few "heading tools" (used to upset the end of a steel rod to a larger diameter so it can be shaped into a head a wrench will fit), and I have dies to cut the threads.

(The last paragraph was pure sarcasm, as I have always preferred to call them arrows. A holdover from the days when the vertical bow "elitists" frequently pointed out crossbows weren't "archery" because they didn't even shoot "arrows".) No offense intended! :wink: :lol: :lol:
wabi
strum

Post by strum »

[quote="wabi"]
I've also made my own bolts. I have a blacksmith shop with a forge, anvil, and a few "heading tools" (used to upset the end of a steel rod to a larger diameter so it can be shaped into a head a wrench will fit), and I have dies to cut the threads.

quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wabi ..Your SCREWED UP :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16