Rated R

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jh45gun1

Re: Rated R

Post by jh45gun1 »

I made a head shot once on a doe by accident I aimed for her chest and as I shot she dropped her head and the bullet hit the top of her head right where I was aiming for her chest. Only good part of this was no meat was wasted.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Ghostman wrote:To purposely shoot a deer that way with an arrow is one of the dumbest things I've read. You wouldn't be welcome in my hunting camp.
Or most hunting camps for that matter...

It's sad when people are so selfish and greedy that they feel the need to take such ridiculous and low percentage shots.

I'm actually surprised anyone would openly admit to attempting such a shot :roll:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The deer I helped clean from a Texas heart shot was obviously contaminated. With that kind of contamination it is almost impossible to wash the meat clean. We used a hose with some pretty good water pressure and it still wasn't clean enough for my liking.

Head shots? Not for me either, but I see plenty of deer taken that way everytime I visit the butcher during gun season. A deers Brain ain't huge, I shudder to think of the ones that have been grazed or worse (no jaw) yet survive. However even on a broadside shot things can go south pretty quick.

It's difficult to tell someone else what they should or should not do, and it's not my place. One can only hope that a hunter figures out on his own what his limitations are.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Hunter Ethics are a big subject in a hunter education course. Basically there is a "standard" code, and then there is another separate code that each person goes by. As others have already said, some would take anal and head shots, some would not. It's up to each person to decide what they will and will not do.

Personally, I won't take an anal shot for 2 reasons. You're dealing with a very small target that is surrounded by some very heavy bone. If you do make it, then you've just contaminated the tenderloins and the ribs. Since I utilize everything I can off of a deer, that kind of shot just isn't an option for me.

With a gun, I will take neck shots, and do quite regularly. All in all, you actually waste less meat with a high neck shot since there's not a lot of meat and more bone up higher on the neck, as opposed to a shoulder or heart/lung shot. But my rifles I've got sighted in for pinpoint accuracy and will only take the shot if it presents itself on a stationary deer.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

I'm not starving and I highly doubt any of you guys are either.
I do hunt for meat though. I like to fill my freezer by the end of season to have enough to last through the year.
I would never, unless I was starving, shoot a deer in the pooper or the head with an xbow. When I was young I shot a deer in the head with a .22 and it dropped to the ground without a problem. I wouldn't do it these days. I only take the neck or the pie plate with rifle. Only the pie plate with crossbow.
I think there are plenty of higher percentage shots to take besides the pooper and the head.
It's not my place to say "don't take texas heart/ham/head shots" but like a few of the other guys I wouldn't hunt with someone that does.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Well, as for myself, I pass up a lot of deer for one reason or another, mostly a horn hunter. Between myself, wife an kids, we have 8 deer tags so low percentage shots don't interest me at all, rather one of them get a deer.
Having killed a couple pickup truck loads of deer in my lifetime, I can get by without one more :mrgreen: Don't mean nothing to me!
Matter of fact, I didn't even kill a deer last year!
Last edited by Oppie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
the canuck

Post by the canuck »

ch312 wrote:
Ghostman wrote:To purposely shoot a deer that way with an arrow is one of the dumbest things I've read. You wouldn't be welcome in my hunting camp.
Or most hunting camps for that matter...

It's sad when people are so selfish and greedy that they feel the need to take such ridiculous and low percentage shots.

I'm actually surprised anyone would openly admit to attempting such a shot :roll:
I am really surprised people openly admit this as well, this type of posting is one of the reasons hunters get a bad name!!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I would never criticize anyone for there shot placement on deer if that,s there kill spot an they have to deal with it . I don,t like anyone telling me where to shoot my deer ( my decision) but for me with rifle or bow it,s behind the front shoulder the largest kill zone on the deer for me. I,m a pretty fair shot an still like the most room for error I can get.