Michigan Youth Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RexKay

Michigan Youth Hunt

Post by RexKay »

On Sept 21st and 22nd I will be taking my 14 yr old son Conner for his 1st hunt. I leased 58 acres in North Branch Mi..he has been coming with me on weekends checking cameras and luggin apples. Deer comin in to stand sites every day. It's my 1st time leasing.. But I killed a Tom there last yr, and knew I had to deer hunt this place. So I'm real excited, and ..he gets an apprentice combo tag..good for either sex deer. For half price!.cant wait!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
smitty likes hunting

Re: Michigan Youth Hunt

Post by smitty likes hunting »

PM sent to you.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

RexKay wrote:On Sept 21st and 22nd I will be taking my 14 yr old son Conner for his 1st hunt. I leased 58 acres in North Branch Mi..he has been coming with me on weekends checking cameras and luggin apples. Deer comin in to stand sites every day. It's my 1st time leasing.. But I killed a Tom there last yr, and knew I had to deer hunt this place. So I'm real excited, and ..he gets an apprentice combo tag..good for either sex deer. For half price!.cant wait!
Good for you and your son. I think it's great to get our youth and families involved. Although I'd like to see the law changed to "Doe only" during that hunt. The experience would be just as rewarding. JMO.
Hunt safe and best of luck to your son!
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

RexKay wrote:On Sept 21st and 22nd I will be taking my 14 yr old son Conner for his 1st hunt. I leased 58 acres in North Branch Mi..he has been coming with me on weekends checking cameras and luggin apples. Deer comin in to stand sites every day. It's my 1st time leasing.. But I killed a Tom there last yr, and knew I had to deer hunt this place. So I'm real excited, and ..he gets an apprentice combo tag..good for either sex deer. For half price!.cant wait!
best of luck to your son that weekend and to you after October 1st.
there is an early antlerless season in my county that same weekend, not sure why cuz there is not that many deer in my area but I will be out there just in case one walks by. I did not hunt the early season last year but this year they decided to make the "horn happy hunters" really happy and now have a 3 point law on at least one side before bucks are legal so they made it even more difficult for those that hunt for meat
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hope he has success on his first hunt!
wabi
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Good luck! I don't have any youth to take this year and I am fresh out of venison so I think me and one of my excal will be waiting on a early season slick head. :D
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I wish you both the best of luck.

My 15 year old daughter harvested a nice young doe Saturday evening during Michigan's two day youth hunt. She used a Thompson Center Encore in 223 Remington with my hand loaded 60 grain Nosler Partitions. This is her fourth youth hunt and third deer, but her first doe. I am a proud dad.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Great doe.

Good luck to the Michigan hunters!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Its the future of hunting congrats and good luck to all who take kids and grand kids :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Onetimeonly x-->

yooper_man wrote:I wish you both the best of luck.

My 15 year old daughter harvested a nice young doe Saturday evening during Michigan's two day youth hunt. She used a Thompson Center Encore in 223 Remington with my hand loaded 60 grain Nosler Partitions. This is her fourth youth hunt and third deer, but her first doe. I am a proud dad.

Andrew
Congratulation to your daughter and you Andrew!
How are the deer numbers looking up there after the long winter?
Scott
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Thank you all.
Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
yooper_man wrote:I wish you both the best of luck.

Andrew
Congratulation to your daughter and you Andrew!
How are the deer numbers looking up there after the long winter?
Scott

The deer didn't seam to be moving around and this doe was so jumpy. My daughter made an approximate 45 yard double lung top of the heart shot. She dropped in her tracks.

Usually there are more deer moving, but since there is no baiting allowed during the youth hunt its a by chance to see deer.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Last night my boy scored a 3 pointer!! Helped with the dirty work and drag to.. He was sore this morning! Saw about 30 deer altogether this weekend. Was a great 2 days to get him out! I'm a happy dad too!!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Onetimeonly x-->

RexKay wrote:Last night my boy scored a 3 pointer!! Helped with the dirty work and drag to.. He was sore this morning! Saw about 30 deer altogether this weekend. Was a great 2 days to get him out! I'm a happy dad too!!
Cool, congrats to you and your son. A weekend to remember for sure!
Scott
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

RexKay wrote:Last night my boy scored a 3 pointer!! Helped with the dirty work and drag to.. He was sore this morning! Saw about 30 deer altogether this weekend. Was a great 2 days to get him out! I'm a happy dad too!!
Awesome congratulations!

Drew

Post by Drew »

It's great hearing about young hunter's successes. Congrats to all!
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads