New 355...First Impressions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

New 355...First Impressions

Post by Drew »

So, I'm the proud owner of a brand new 355. Couldn't be happier as I originally planned on getting the Equinox and due to availability and price I ended up getting the 355. Nabbed it for $629.99 at Dunham's Sports (30% off coupon)...I still can't believe that price!

Assembly was very easy, no problems what so ever. I haven't checked the REDS set screw holes yet, and I don't think I will be attaching the quiver so I can not attest the holes/threads at those locations. I've read that some are having issues there. I did have to put a washer under the front sling swivel attachment so it was indexed correctly. No big deal. The trigger is rough and feels like a file over a sharp edge. I talked to a member here (Onetimeonly x-->) and I believe right after hunting season the trigger assembly will be sent to Boo for some TLC.

I will say, and I'm sure this is no surprise, the Tact-Zone is...functional. Barely. I already have a Nikon Bolt XR scope that will be mounted as soon as I get some new rings.

My basement is 15yds across and I have a yellow jacket bag down there so of course I had to take a few shots...well maybe a dozen. Or two. I was surprised how loud it was at the first shot. Woke the wife up sleeping in the room above me, lol! Definitely have to do something to tone that down a bit. And FAST FAST FAST holy moly!!! I need to get the the chrony out and see whats what. The arrows that came with it are all 402grains and my 20" BE Zombies are 448gr. I'm really curious what it's pushing these at.

All in all, I'm very impressed. It's a very solid bow, well machined and engineered. Balances well just behind the foregrip, different than a rifle but I'm sure I will get used to it. And damn it looks good!

There were a few things I mentioned that could be interpreted as negative. I don't look at it that way, it's just not how I want it. Yet. I don't have a single firearm that hasn't been "improved" somehow so I don't expect this to be any different.

I'll post some velocities once I get everything set up and settled. Glad to be a member of the Excal family!

I cannot wait till 10/1, deer better hide!
Last edited by Drew on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Fred T

Re: New 355...First Impressions

Post by Fred T »

Congrats and that is a crazy low price.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on yer 355 & you stole it :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great deal and welcome to the 355 club!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I was in the tree last night and found the 355 a real nice set-up.Very small for moving around and the Tact-zone was fine.Nothing came in close enough for me to shoot.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Short power stroke + high poundage = noise
Noise abatement and a heavy arrow will help with the noise.
It is a recurve crossbow and they have never been what one would call quiet.
It is an Excalibur so you will have fun with it for a very long time.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Drew

Post by Drew »

I'm sure being in a basement made it seem even louder than it would if I were outdoors. It is powerful though holy moly. I put two arrows into my yellow jacket crossbow target (brand new) and they went thru it and hit the concrete wall behind it. :shock: Ruined a Zombie and a Diablo. :x
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Drew wrote:I'm sure being in a basement made it seem even louder than it would if I were outdoors. It is powerful though holy moly. I put two arrows into my yellow jacket crossbow target (brand new) and they went thru it and hit the concrete wall behind it. :shock: Ruined a Zombie and a Diablo. :x
Don't prop the target up against the wall.
If you hang it, then it should absorb more of the energy.
Hang an old quilt a few feet behind that and the arrows should just fall to the floor.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Drew

Post by Drew »

Good idea Ont_Excal, I just came up from the basement having decided to do that very thing. :idea: I also sat on the bag target and bounced a bit to compress it more. That did the trick. Heading to the hardware store to get some eyebolts to suspend it right now.

Everyone on this forum is so helpful...great place! :D
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i will say looking through a tactzone indoors shooting targets isint the best. take it outside and compare to the nikon. i set mine up in a basement range and indoor lighting made the tactzone a lemon. outside its like a different scope. :wink:
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

My bag targets, I get right up on them and stomp as hard as I can.
No worry..............you won't harm the target..............just be careful you don't sprain an ankle.