Tunning Bh's to arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaveShooter

Tunning Bh's to arrows

Post by DaveShooter »

I redid my Bh test today not as windy like the other day. I did find that my 100 grain field points flew true to the mark. But when I went to any of the BH's I had they didn't group well at all. Have or do any of you tune your Bh's to your arrows or reset your scopes to your Bh's on the arrow you use? Thanks for any input on the matter as I think I got an idea as some would say go to a mechanical Bh same weight as field point which is 100 grain or try a different low profile head altogeather. :D
Masboy

Re: Tunning Bh's to arrows

Post by Masboy »

I make sure I have great arrows that have the cock vane inline with the arrow spine an lots of helix , everything squared, weighed , brass inserts , broad heads spin well an if they shoot to a different poi I can most time get them to hit the same poi by changing field tip weight to get them to shoot same poi as broadheads. it,s all in the arrow if you have good broadheads.on my best arrows I have not tryed a broadhead yet that did not shoot great.
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I been lucky ,my BH's have been trued to my arrow's.For some reason or another.I didn't tune them to my bow ,I went from FP's to BH's back to back with no adjustment's.
My BH's do drop 1/2'' at 50 yard's .but windage is perfect.
Couldn't ask for much better ,Got lucky .I shot BH's at 60 yard's and it dropped 1.5'' .still perfect windage.
Im gonna leave them alone and hunt .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Masboy wrote:I make sure I have great arrows that have the cock vane inline with the arrow spine an lots of helix , everything squared, weighed , brass inserts , broad heads spin well an if they shoot to a different poi I can most time get them to hit the same poi by changing field tip weight to get them to shoot same poi as broadheads. it,s all in the arrow if you have good broadheads.on my best arrows I have not tryed a broadhead yet that did not shoot great.
Thanks for the information-I'm using new 2219 xx75 magnums with the 100 grain bullet allen field points and I've tried The Buckeye Bh fix heads 100 grains plus the adaptor which aren't made anymore. Also Bear Bruin lite 95 Grain in which I've killed Deer with those 2 heads the Buckeyes and Bear heads out of Excalibur and Horton/Ten point Crossbows and the last head was the 150 grain Muzzy Matador 2- 4-blade in which I see they Muzzy 2's aren't made anymore as well. Like I say it isn't the scope and the arrows with field point fly straight and true to the mark on the target. What was really strange the Muzzy 150's in the crosswind in front of target flew also true to the mark on target as well. Very strange.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

steve rodo wrote:I been lucky ,.
Not really . . .I've found that if your tiller is good, then your arrows do not require tuning. If your tiller is off . . .then all the tuning in the world will not help.

Anyways . . .the crossbow's tiller eliminates the need to tune your arrows. If your arrows are off, then it's usually a bad arrow or a bad build.

A really good spin test will tell if your arrow will fly straight.

I have found that you need some spin to help the flight of a broadhead. Other than that . . .fire away.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd try G-5 Montecs or Slick Tricks for fixed blades.
The Swhacker mechanicals fly good out of my Phoenix, too.
I'm using 2216s with Blazer vanes this year.
wabi
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

sumner4991 wrote: have found that you need some spin to help the flight of a broadhead. Other than that . . .fire away
X2 !!! Blazers are great !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I just killed my buck this year with the same arrow you're using along with a Rocket 3 blade 2" cut that flew just like the 100gr field points.The 2 blade rage crossbow 100gr also flew like field points.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
massbow

Post by massbow »

G5s
Team 355
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

sumner4991 wrote:
steve rodo wrote:I been lucky ,.
A really good spin test will tell if your arrow will fly straight.
Can you suggest a good spin test?
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I too am having a problem getting BH to shoot as well as FP.I am using 125gr for both.BH are Thunderheads,they have different poi and dont shoot near as good of group--So I'm not the only one :?
LIVING THE DREAM
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I went back out and shot again 2 heart shots in a row at 20 yds on my deer target. So I took a look at the 2 Bh's and arrow combination and figured it out. It was the way the Bh's Lined up with the cock vane. So I took another new head and arrow and heated up under a candle flame the insert and Bh till they lined up where they should with the cock vane and the other 2 vanes, let arrow cool back down. And they looked the same as the 1st two new arrows that I shot. Then I remembered reading back yrs ago about lining up Bh's to your vanes or feathers on your arrows which does make good sense. Unless you get a lucky break like some other have mentioned here and don't have to do anything to Bh's and arrows. Ya lucky dogs :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

wabi wrote:I'd try G-5 Montecs or Slick Tricks for fixed blades.
The Swhacker mechanicals fly good out of my Phoenix, too.
I'm using 2216s with Blazer vanes this year.
Hey Wabi I think i am gonna give those 100 grain Swackers a try. And those G5 Montecs look like they would do a real good job too. Thanks :D
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

steve rodo wrote:I been lucky ,my BH's have been trued to my arrow's.For some reason or another.I didn't tune them to my bow ,I went from FP's to BH's back to back with no adjustment's.
My BH's do drop 1/2'' at 50 yard's .but windage is perfect.
Couldn't ask for much better ,Got lucky .I shot BH's at 60 yard's and it dropped 1.5'' .still perfect windage.
Im gonna leave them alone and hunt .
Steve -you just got Lady luck on your side :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Can you suggest a good spin test?
Here's two:

Quicky: drive 4 finish nails in a board about 14" apart, bend them over to form an 'X'.

Classy: use 4 marbles the same size and epoxy. Same 14" apart for the pairs.........
"Eze 18:21"