Other scope options.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

Other scope options.

Post by learn2flyfish »

I looked through my buddies Exocet and have picked up a few Excals at Bass Pro. The BDC reticles were cool and many had the power ring marked so that the second focal plane reticle could be easily matched to the velocity the bow was shooting.

But everything I picked up had sub par glass. I've seen some advertisements for Hawke, Nikon and maybe even a Leupold scope. I've had experience with all these brands for either Air Rifles or Powderburners and they've worked well but can be pricey.

What are some optics that you've upgraded to with your Excal? Any that are not listed?

I have a couple of these and will try one on the crossbow> Image

And the reticle is the same as my photo (yes I"m a fan)> Image

What I did was cut the mount off and file it down smooth with the tube. The forward portion is 30mm and there is enough room for some ring spacing or one large 30mm ring could be used as in the Aimpoint, etc.

The eye relief on these scopes is short (1.75"-2") and it will take some trial and error in matching the correct portion of the BDC turret with the bolt trajectory. My son's 12fpe airgun starts at 2 on the BDC dial for 10 yards and runs at 4.5 for 50 yards.

The optics in the scope are outstanding!! But the illumination is long gone. Still is is bold enough to be seen in low light.

Here is a little history on the scope>

The PSL's telescopic sight is made by the Industry Optic Romania (I.O.R.) firm in Bucharest. I.O.R. is a Romanian company which has been making optics since 1936. They currently use German made Schott glass coated with the Carl Zeiss T-3 system to eliminate glare and maximize light transmission. It is unknown what glass and coatings they used at the time they produced the PSL's scope, however I.O.R. had a long association with western European optics manufacturers and maintained these despite being caught within the Iron Curtain. In 1967 I.O.R. collaborated with various German manufacturers and in 1975 an association was established with Carl Zeiss which led to even more expansion and modernization.

The PSL rifle is typically issued with a 4x24 optical sight called LPS 4x6° TIP2 (Luneta Puṣca Semiautomata Tip 2, or "Scope, Semi-Automatic Rifle, Type #2") which is a simplified version of the Russian PSO-1 telescopic weapon sight. This optical sight features 4x magnification, a 6° field of view, and the objective lens is 24 mm in diameter. It shares the basic design and stadiametric rangefinder found in the reticle of the original Russian PSO-1 scope. The LPS 4x6° TIP2 elevation turret features bullet drop compensation (BDC) in 50 m increments for engaging pointThe PSL's telescopic sight is made by the Industry Optic Romania (I.O.R.) firm in Bucharest. I.O.R. is a Romanian company which has been making optics since 1936. They currently use German made Schott glass coated with the Carl Zeiss T-3 system to eliminate glare and maximize light transmission. It is unknown what glass and coatings they used at the time they produced the PSL's scope, however I.O.R. had a long association with western European optics manufacturers and maintained these despite being caught within the Iron Curtain. In 1967 I.O.R. collaborated with various German manufacturers and in 1975 an association was established with Carl Zeiss which led to even more expansion and modernization.

This and area targets at ranges from 100 m up to 1,000 m. The BDC feature must be tuned at the factory for the particular ballistic trajectory of a particular combination of rifle and cartridge at a predefined air density. Inevitable BDC induced errors will occur if the environmental and meteorological circumstances deviate from the circumstances the BDC was calibrated for. Marksmen can be trained to compensate for these errors. Besides the BDC elevation or vertical adjustment control of the reticle, the windage or horizontal adjustment control of the reticle can also be easily dialed in by the user without having to remove turret caps etc. The reticle illumination of the LPS 4x6° TIP2 is provided by (radioactive) tritium. The tritium light source has to be replaced every 8–12 years, since it gradually loses its brightness due to radioactive decay.[2]

The LPS 4x6° TIP2 is issued with a lens hood that can be attached to the ocular to reduce/eliminate image quality impairing stray light and a covers to protect the objective external lens surface against foul weather and damage.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Normous

Re: Other scope options.

Post by Normous »

I will do a review this week on the new Leupold VX-R in 2-7 with the Firedot Ballistic Reticle and 30mm main tube. A few day ago I mounted (2) VX-R 2-7 on both Matrix 380's. I felt that the new Excalibur Matrix bows were most worthy of fine optics and after many hours of research I settled on Leupold to compliment the Matrix.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

enormous wrote:I will do a review this week on the new Leupold VX-R in 2-7 with the Firedot Ballistic Reticle and 30mm main tube. A few day ago I mounted (2) VX-R 2-7 on both Matrix 380's. I felt that the new Excalibur Matrix bows were most worthy of fine optics and after many hours of research I settled on Leupold to compliment the Matrix.

Absolute!

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
NFH

Post by NFH »

Eagerly awaiting your review and how you set these scopes up. I have a turkey plex Leupold 2-7 in route from our buddy Danny Miller. If I like the turkey plex I would definitely upgrade to the VXR in the future.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Leupold
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

sumner4991 wrote:Leupold

Burris or leupold
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

What does one of these new scopes cost and what aiming.points do u have in yards
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only