matrix 380 questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredd

matrix 380 questions

Post by fredd »

just bought my new matrix 380 have a few questions. i have some of big john bolts with brass inserts weighing in around 396 to 400 gr with heads installed. any difference with shooting the 18'' compared to the 20''. also the scope, my eyes are not as good as they use to be hard to read the yardage on scope. would the lumizone work? or what would be a good up grade without brakeing the bank. regards fred
racking up points

Re: matrix 380 questions

Post by racking up points »

400gr is a good weight out of the matrix, any Excal really. The 20" arrows will work too as long as they are over 350gr, only issue being the BH will most likely stick out further than the foot stirrup, something I don't like, but you might not mind.

I don't like the Tact-Zone scope, personally. I wouldn't swap it out just because you can't read the yardage #s, (20,30,40,50,60), but if you can't see the aim points it's useless, right? The lumizone has bolder chevrons for aiming, unless I'm mistaken, and that might suit your eyes better.

I have a shadow zone, which I do like, but I love Hawke scopes and you can pick them up on eBay for almost the same price as a new lumizone.

Happy hunting
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
fredd

Post by fredd »

i do like the lumizone , but the speed selector only goes to 350 is that pose a problem for the matrix at 380?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

fredd wrote:i do like the lumizone , but the speed selector only goes to 350 is that pose a problem for the matrix at 380?
Only reason I mention the lumi is because you listed it as an option due to your failing eyesight. At 400gr, you'll be close to 350 on the speed ring anyway.

You might be better off with a scope that will allow for speeds closer to 380 in case you go with lighter arrows down the road. I have the XB30 on an M380 and I'm at max magnification because my speed dial is set at 360 which is the highest speed it'll compensate for.

There is something to be said for hunting at lower magnifications, so a scope that allows you to set the speed dial at say 360, but has a range up to 420, IMO would be better.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
fredd

Post by fredd »

thanks for all the imput. maybe see what i can find on a newer one.