My 9 yr old son is ready

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FNARSCOT

My 9 yr old son is ready

Post by FNARSCOT »

I have the 380 Matrix Blackout for my son and I to hunt with. He can't shoot a vertical bow that's the proper size for hunting. I have blown out discs in my back and my vertical bow is less fun lately. So enter the cross bow. We built a over size rag target (78" tall and 52" wide) to practice as we live on 2 acres so I did not want to have a miss end up next door. Well It turns out the Excalibur is more than accurate. After a long safety lesson(he is very skilled with firearms but only shot small bows before) We set up on a bench with a Harris bipod on the 380 I sighted in at 20 yds. ( took 4 shots) Then my son shot. 1st shot 2" left(he called his own miss) second shot BULLSEYE. Backed up by 2 more then we were out of shooting light. Next morning we shot at 20,30,40, and 50 yds.Tweeking the scope till it was dead on out to 50yds. My son can hit a 1 1/2 dot from a rest out to 50 yds. 90% of the time. The other 10% all fall in to a 3" circle. We will hunt from a ground blind with a tripod rest. If it ever cools off enough to hunt .Its 85 today and I refuse to try to teach a boy to sit still enough for a 20 yd.shot as hot and humid as it is .Thanks Excalibur for helping me to pass on these skills to the next generation. Your gear makes it easy. Now to sneak out and practice a while I hate being out shot by a 9 yr. old and I am having a hard time keeping up. :lol:
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
DaveShooter

Re: My 9 yr old son is ready

Post by DaveShooter »

Loved your post- I can remember the days taking my son hunting when he was younger Great times and memories :D What better way for the young ones to out do dear ole dad-Sure makes a father proud :D
FNARSCOT

Re: My 9 yr old son is ready

Post by FNARSCOT »

My older son is a Airborne Ranger and we started hunting when he was young his first bow hunt was in a ground blind. He could not stay still no matter what. After about 30 min. of trying to get him still I started to have a hard time my self. CHIGGERS ate us alive. I felt like a jerk trying to "teach " him while he had a great reason to wiggle. Now that's one neither one of us will forget Good times.
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String