Crossbow bore sighting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deer_unlimited

Crossbow bore sighting

Post by deer_unlimited »

Any ideas how? I believe I do know how. Excalibur might have their own idea. I would be happy if they do.
KYRidgeback

Re: Crossbow bore sighting

Post by KYRidgeback »

Pen style laser pointer set on the rails?

You would need to confirm it is projecting parallel to it's body or know it's offset.

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Just shoot one at 10 yds........then 20 yds for sight in....takes about 5 minutes
"Eze 18:21"
NFH

Post by NFH »

^^^^ This. With bows there's no reason to save ammo! :wink:
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

awshucks wrote:Just shoot one at 10 yds........then 20 yds for sight in....takes about 5 minutes
As 'Shucks said, you really dont need to bother, but if you just want to... use an arrow shaft with no insert, slide it under the string and hold down spring, use a regular bore sight device with the stud inserted into the arrow shaft, instead of the bore of you gun. Maybe a bit crude but works.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

awshucks wrote:Just shoot one at 10 yds........then 20 yds for sight in....takes about 5 minutes
Unless you're shooting a van-mod'ed brown Vixen with a HHA. :mrgreen:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
deer_unlimited

Post by deer_unlimited »

flightattendant100 wrote:
As 'Shucks said, you really dont need to bother, but if you just want to... use an arrow shaft with no insert, slide it under the string and hold down spring, use a regular bore sight device with the stud inserted into the arrow shaft, instead of the bore of you gun. Maybe a bit crude but works.
It's not about minutes - it's about accuracy. What do you mean by "the stud inserted into the arrow shaft". What stud?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

deer_unlimited wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote:
It's not about minutes - it's about accuracy. What do you mean by "the stud inserted into the arrow shaft". What stud?
The stud on the bore sighter.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It's not about minutes - it's about accuracy.
Danny Miller left a laser here about 6" long like the one pictured above.

Btdt on using it on an xbow, didn't even come close to being 'on' at 20 yds...........YMMV
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Bore sighting "Gets you on paper". I have been shooting bows a while and crossbows a short while. I have been shooting Firearms lots longer . I assure you at 10 yards even with a broken optic/sight you will hit a backstop/ target suitable for sighting in. I suggest a 4ft. by 4 ft. rag target so you can finish your sight in out to 20 yds. min. I like to go to 50 with a bow but 40 is max for most. After a 10 yd. zero a 4x4 target gives even the beginner a margin. Just do not move back till you are dead on at any given range 1 1/2 black dots in the center of a white background work for most or a white dot on a black ground to tune arrow flight(easy to see arrow on black background) but that a lesson for another day
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
deer_unlimited

Post by deer_unlimited »

FNARSCOT wrote:Bore sighting "Gets you on paper". I have been shooting bows a while and crossbows a short while. I have been shooting Firearms lots longer . I assure you at 10 yards even with a broken optic/sight you will hit a backstop/ target suitable for sighting in. I suggest a 4ft. by 4 ft. rag target so you can finish your sight in out to 20 yds. min. I like to go to 50 with a bow but 40 is max for most. After a 10 yd. zero a 4x4 target gives even the beginner a margin. Just do not move back till you are dead on at any given range 1 1/2 black dots in the center of a white background work for most or a white dot on a black ground to tune arrow flight(easy to see arrow on black background) but that a lesson for another day
Thanks everybody for valuable input.
My point is: Matrix changes everything..sighting including :) Especially for older people :(
There should be a sighter making crossbows sighting as easy and accurate as guns bore sighting.
Cheers.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There should be a sighter making crossbows sighting as easy and accurate as guns bore sighting.
There's a solution, it's called '10 yards', lol. Your confusing the accuracy of a laser mounted in a bullet w/ that of a hand-held. No where near the same.

It took me a while to position the 6" where the string held down the button. I got it. The laser was no where near the target.

I've sighted a ton of Excals in by plinking one at 10 yds, then 20 yds. Measure how much you are off, figure 1 click = 1/2 " and voila....
deer_unlimited

Post by deer_unlimited »

awshucks wrote:
There's a solution, it's called '10 yards', lol. Your confusing the accuracy of a laser mounted in a bullet w/ that of a hand-held. No where near the same.

It took me a while to position the 6" where the string held down the button. I got it. The laser was no where near the target.

I've sighted a ton of Excals in by plinking one at 10 yds, then 20 yds. Measure how much you are off, figure 1 click = 1/2 " and voila....
You are absolutely right. We want the accuracy of a laser mounted in a crossbow w/ that of a hand-held. That's the idea.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You are absolutely right. We want the accuracy of a laser mounted in a crossbow w/ that of a hand-held. That's the idea.
I wouldn't buy one....... :mrgreen:
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

I think you have a great idea .Go for it. I have seen a whole bunch of fixes for things that are not broke. Another one won't matter. I build custom long range rifles and I "Bore Sight" by pulling the bolt and adjusting the scope to the same point on the wall of the shop as I see looking down the bore. First shot is always dead on at 25yds.side to side and within inches up and down. Measure dial repeat. No laser no gizmos .I set my cross hairs vertical with a plumb bob at 25 yds.. I have never had a issue and I'm old .Even when everything changes the Math stays the same. Good luck and Godspeed. 8)
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String