Is your Matrix to loud !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LongCarbine

Is your Matrix to loud !

Post by LongCarbine »

If it is put a Boo string with cat whiskers on it . I put one on my 355 and my wife and I can't believe the difference it makes . The speed you lose with the whiskers must be made up with the string . I had my sights dead on at 40 yards with the factory string and I didn't have to readjust the scope at all. If anyone is looking for the magical thing to quiet down his bow , this is it !!!!
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Onetimeonly x-->

Re: Is your Matrix to loud !

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

LongCarbine wrote:If it is put a Boo string with cat whiskers on it . I put one on my 355 and my wife and I can't believe the difference it makes . The speed you lose with the whiskers must be made up with the string . I had my sights dead on at 40 yards with the factory string and I didn't have to readjust the scope at all. If anyone is looking for the magical thing to quiet down his bow , this is it !!!!
X2,X3......
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Yep. Same here. X2
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Yep. Same here. X2
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I'm waiting on a Boo string. Can't wait to see what a difference it'll make on my setup.

But I've done some simple things to quiet my 380 down. A 400gr-420gr arrow, modified REDS, (ball cut back by 1/3, makes a big difference), shrink wrapped arrow retainer. I also use the x-factor limb dampener because it is removable, tunable for both speed and vibration, and they last forever. I've had one set on many different bows, verts and XBs, they may not fit low profile Excal limbs, but fit fine on the matrix series. They work great but at a cost of 10fps, well worth the benefit IMO. Here's a link:

http://www.xfactoroutdoors.com/limbfactor.html

With these simple mods, the bow is as quiet as any wheeled X-Bow I've shot, and way quieter than any of my other 3 excaliburs.

I did all of this for personal preference though, not because I thought deer would duck my arrows. A relaxed deer within 40y has little chance of jumping the string on a stock M380.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Racking: I also shoot 405 grain arrows , shrink wrap my retainer. I make custom sting stops ( pretty much what you did) nothing on the limbs but I wrap my stirup with rubber. All that did a nice job but with the Boo sting on I can't believe it's the same bow!
b.t.w did you order yours with the whiskers ?
Jim
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
racking up points

LongCarbine wrote:Racking: I also shoot 405 grain arrows , shrink wrap my retainer. I make custom sting stops ( pretty much what you did) nothing on the limbs but I wrap my stirup with rubber. All that did a nice job but with the Boo sting on I can't believe it's the same bow!
b.t.w did you order yours with the whiskers ?
Jim
I didn't, but he's a month or two away from starting on them, so I'll have to ask him to add the whiskers, seeing as how you guys review them.

How did you wrap the stirrup in rubber...been think of doing the same. I've used camo tape before but that doesn't hold up well.

Thanks
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

Did any of you get the fps of your bow before and after your mods? I know the whiskers will cost you fps, but how about the limb dampeners?
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
racking up points

Excal1 wrote:Did any of you get the fps of your bow before and after your mods? I know the whiskers will cost you fps, but how about the limb dampeners?
I've heard whiskers will cost you 5-7fps, correct me if I'm wrong. Can't verify that.

The limb dampeners I use are moveable, so at first I was losing 13fps, but I tuned them and kept moving them until I found the sweet spot and according to the chrony, I'm losing 10fps...but that's worth it to me. It makes a world of difference for sound and vibration.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

racking up points wrote:How did you wrap the stirrup in rubber...been think of doing the same. I've used camo tape before but that doesn't hold up well.
I use 3m Scotch 23 rubber splicing tape it stretches and only sticks to it's self I had mine on my Axiom for over 500 shoots and it's still on . When I take it off it won't be a sticky mess. As far as lost of speed , Boo's web sight says about 6 f.p.s I think I read on this sight someone said they lost around 10 f.p.s . All I know it's as fast as the factory string . My sights didn't change at all. And I can see my arrow all the way now . I don't lose it in the recoil. There is nothing wrong with the factory string . Boo's string is just an up grade. THAT'S what makes these bows great . First you buy the best bow on the market then you can customize it any way you want to meet your own needs.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

I have a 380 it sounded like an aluminum bat hitting a softball I put on a Boo string with the whiskers and its like night and day I didnt have to adjust my scope or anything It was still dead on and maybe a touch faster because I was about an inch higher on the target at the same distances Ive heard all kinds of replys about them some people like them some dont me myself I love the difference it made and the vibration is demenished tremendously Which should help in alot of other ways as far as things coming loose because of the vibration I wouldnt take them off now for Nothing Thanks Boo for saving my ears Dave
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

JPjunkie wrote:I have a 380 it sounded like an aluminum bat hitting a softball I put on a Boo string with the whiskers and its like night and day I didnt have to adjust my scope or anything It was still dead on and maybe a touch faster because I was about an inch higher on the target at the same distances Ive heard all kinds of replys about them some people like them some dont me myself I love the difference it made and the vibration is demenished tremendously Which should help in alot of other ways as far as things coming loose because of the vibration I wouldnt take them off now for Nothing Thanks Boo for saving my ears Dave
YUP!!!! It's just like he said .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
strum

Post by strum »

whisks all the way for me too. when you get right down to it what the heck is 7 -8fps when your shooting380fps?
I mean if you let it that chronograph will drive you crazy.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
northman

Post by northman »

One of the first things I did after hearing the noise from my Matrix 380 was to tap all over the bow with a screwdriver....when I got to the aluminum foot stirrup, it sounded like a tuning fork. I know they want a lightweight bow, but aluminum was not the best choice of material. Second, it is a continuos loop, not split. Third, it is bolted directly to the bow, no isolation or rubber gasket, and is not coated with rubber etc. to dampen it. I am planning on modifying mine as indicated above. A friend stopped over with his Tenpoint to sight it in yesterday. He immediately noticed the noise of mine, whereas his is very quiet. His foot stirrup in steel, a split loop, and coated in rubber. Think they did a better job during the design phase. A simple frequency sweep on the bow would have shown this to be an issue before the design release.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

No pompoms on my strings. :lol: