R.E.D.S Modification

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FNARSCOT

R.E.D.S Modification

Post by FNARSCOT »

I have seen a reference to the modification of the R.E.D.S. Search of the site has been fruitless. Anybody have a step by step and a brace height after mod. that works best? If this post already exists please direct me to it. Thanks
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
cdn.redneck

Re: R.E.D.S Modification

Post by cdn.redneck »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 64#p476033

they were talking about the R.E.D.S and baby bumper in that tread.
if link doesn't work, scroll down until you see "baby bumper or R.E.D.S" tread
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton
Boo

Post by Boo »

There's not much to it.
Chuck the REDS in a drill and put it to a grinder. The drill will help keep things even.
Grind off 1/3rd to 1/2 of the tip of the ball off. Break the new edge with a file so there's no sharp edges created.
Set the braceheight to where the string is about 2 string widths away from the rubber bumpers or about 1/4" gap.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Got it Thanks
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Boo

Post by Boo »

This one's not done yet but you'll see what the aim is.
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

I finished mine 5 min. ago. Ball measured .634 trimmed to.410. Over all length of pc. from where it contacts bow to top of ball is exact for both pieces .Brace height is set as per recommended(2 strings ) The only "noise" I hear is the string release. I prefer to stay with a endless string for now.I think. I am new to crossbows. My son shoots with me.(He is 9 and out shoots me regularly) I have read that a Flemmish string v.s. Excalibur string on the 380 is close as far as speed . We shoot a lot so I guess my question is will the Flemmish string with cat whiskers last as long as a stock string and do they hold adjustment as well. I know there is never a "free lunch" in the tuning world but what are the pros v.s. cons for my application?
Thanks Scot
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you buy a Flemish string from Danny Miller you'll pick up a couple of ft/sec.
The endless loop string will potentially be a shorter lived string because the serving where it closes the loop may back a way causing your loop to enlarge. But it's cheaper than the Flemish string which is easier on your bow as well as being less noisy.
If you aren't an arrow junkie and just hunt stick with the factory endless loop string. The more you shoot the more you should use a Flemish string.
strum

Post by strum »

ive heard about this modd but never tried it. Boo, does this do anything to sound?. or does it just help the rubbers last longer?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

Primarily it allows the rubbers to last longer but there in a reduction of noise and shock.
When you remove part of the ball you increase the space between the rubber surface and the metal ball. Before the metal removal the outside edge was doing very little work which is why you see a cut only in the middle. After metal removal you are decelerating the string over a longer period of time kinda like crush zones and air bags on a car. They are meant to decelerate occupants over a longer period of time making the likelyhood of organs being sheared off less likely.
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:Primarily it allows the rubbers to last longer but there in a reduction of noise and shock.
When you remove part of the ball you increase the space between the rubber surface and the metal ball. Before the metal removal the outside edge was doing very little work which is why you see a cut only in the middle. After metal removal you are decelerating the string over a longer period of time kinda like crush zones and air bags on a car. They are meant to decelerate occupants over a longer period of time making the likelyhood of organs being sheared off less likely.
dangit...now I have to work on my S5s..its all yer fault Don :lol:
im going to try it for sure. and thinking about it I decided I don't want any organs sheared off either :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote:
Boo wrote:Primarily it allows the rubbers to last longer but there in a reduction of noise and shock.
im going to try it for sure. and thinking about it I decided I don't want any organs sheared off either :lol: :lol:
Especially the smallest one! :mrgreen:
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Boo we shoot a lot .(daily unless it is raining)That being said how often will a Flemmish string need to be adjusted? I heard horror stories about them needing constant adjustment. If they last longer and are quieter I'm all in. Faster is great too . If cat whiskers don't cost but 5 fps. or so great. Question is why can't I get one from you with whiskers as I don't think Danny Miller offers that option.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Boo

Post by Boo »

FNARSCOT wrote:Boo we shoot a lot .(daily unless it is raining)That being said how often will a Flemmish string need to be adjusted? I heard horror stories about them needing constant adjustment. If they last longer and are quieter I'm all in. Faster is great too . If cat whiskers don't cost but 5 fps. or so great. Question is why can't I get one from you with whiskers as I don't think Danny Miller offers that option.
How often you have to adjust depends how well it was made, what type of material was used, how many strands were used and lastly the temperature.
My string with whiskers cost 6 to 8 ft/sec depending on the which bow and arrow used.
I don't believe that constant brace height changes is an issue with my strings but as a general rule I do not build them to be faster.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Boo wrote:
strum wrote:
Especially the smallest one! :mrgreen:
:lol: yeah them are the most important ones
strum

Post by strum »

FNARSCOT wrote:Boo we shoot a lot .(daily unless it is raining)That being said how often will a Flemmish string need to be adjusted? I heard horror stories about them needing constant adjustment. If they last longer and are quieter I'm all in. Faster is great too . If cat whiskers don't cost but 5 fps. or so great. Question is why can't I get one from you with whiskers as I don't think Danny Miller offers that option.
just as anexample..I got a string from Boo two weeks ago ..adjusted the Bh 2 times..once after 10 shots and once 2 days later..its not moved since.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony