Leupold VXR 2-7 30mm review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Leupold VXR 2-7 30mm review

Post by Boo »

Sorry Norm. I think you were saying that the light management of the VXI is now on par with their past VZXIIs and their VXIIs are not on par with VXIIIs. Was that correct?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yes, when Leupold develped their latest Quantum lense coatings each V series inherited the lense qualities from the series above. It was a win win situation for consumers because Leupold did not inrease prices in each linup.
-The Rifleman series recieved VX 1 glass
-The VX 1 series recieved VX 2 glass
-The VX 2 series recieved VX 3 glass
-The VX 3 series recieved a higher grade of glass as well.

The current VX R series glass fall somewhere between the new VX 2 and VX 3 and exceedes the mid 2000 era VX III's.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

From what I read and gather the Crossbones is a derivative of the VX1 then
NFH

Post by NFH »

enormous wrote: -The reticle shown below is from the Leupold website and catalogue and is enlarged showing the viewer only 50% of the reticle image. The drop zones would not be suitable for the slower crossbows. At 3 power I can use the scope to 40 yards with my fast Matrix 380 and that suits me fine.
Are you saying at 3 power the bottom hash mark of the reticle you are using for 40 yards? I am also using a Leopold 2-7 shotgun scope with turkey plex reticle (thanks to Danny Miller) on my Matrix 355. With my current setup this reticle is working great. At 4X top of the circle is 10 yds, center crosshairs 20, bottom of circle 30, and where the cross hair get thicker is 40 yards. I really like the idea of the vxr with its illuminated reticle and better glass but only if I could get it to work in a similar manner as the turkey plex. I was hoping the ballistic drop reticle could work the same and give me even more aiming points for further shots at targets (40yds is plenty for hunting). I know the circle of the turkey plex reticle is 6.5" at 40yards, I would be curious if the circle on the VXR is the same.
Another note to add on the vxr is parallax. Leopold shotgun scopes are set to 60 yards parallax but the vxr being made for centerfire rifles I would assume it is set to 100 or 150 yards. I do know for a small fee plus shipping Leopold can adjust these scopes down to as low as 40 yards zero parallax error. I'll be all over this scope if I can get it to work the way I want. Thanks for sharing.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
Boo

Post by Boo »

Here's the Pig Plex :mrgreen:

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

NFH, parallax is really a non issue with VXR at crossbow ranges. I can focus on objects as close as 6 yards with the VXR at 3 power and I forgot to mention it in my review.
At 3 power the circle or (turkey plex in your case) on the VXR covers about 3" at 20 yards. I would use the intersection where the thick and thin post meet at 40 using my 380 and 400 grain arrow.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Very good review Norm and a very nice scope
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I also have a VX-R 2x7-33 on my Matrix 380. I had Leupold set the parallax at 40yds and the only downside to using this scope is that you will want to keep hunting after shooting hours because you will still be able to clearly make a kill at 20-30 yds with almost any moon glow to provide the light. LOL.

So check your hunting hours and note them carefully so you can get out of the woods when you are supposed too!
In the Wind.......