Range finder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Range finder

Post by 8ptbuk »

Ive got an old Bushnellrange finder and was wondering if I need one that compensates for angles out of treestands ? Thanks for any suggestions
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
tharris811

Re: Range finder

Post by tharris811 »

I don't think so I just got one.It had it and there is only about 1 yard diffarance most of the time
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
Amrap

Post by Amrap »

X2
Matrix 355
Diablos with 150 BC (not very imaginative, but accurate)

"Put on your harness. If you fall today, you can't hunt tomorrow"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Depends on your target.
If you're trying to hit an aspirin on the ground it might be good to have a fancy one, but for deer hunting don't worry about it. :lol:
wabi
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

Would that be 1 yard further away or closer? 3 feet does make a big difference. But then again if you are using an Excalibur xbow then it doesn't really matter as they do warn you not to shoot at the same spot!!!! :D
Zap

Post by Zap »

"This is basic math. A^2 + B^2 = C^2

If the hypotenuse (the long leg) is 30 yards and you are 20' up (let's call it 7 yards) then you square 30 (900), subtract 7 squared (49) and take the square root of that number (851) and you get 29.1 yards."

Its really should not be an issue.
Happy hunting!
Duck or Bleed.....
schultzy

Post by schultzy »

I have a bushnell with arc and love it. I hunt steep ridges and I have a bad habit of shooting over game. Even aiming low. This took care of that. Anyway, they are fun to play with.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Should not be an issue at bow hunting distances
Tom

Post by Tom »

Zap wrote:"This is basic math. A^2 + B^2 = C^2

If the hypotenuse (the long leg) is 30 yards and you are 20' up (let's call it 7 yards) then you square 30 (900), subtract 7 squared (49) and take the square root of that number (851) and you get 29.1 yards."

Its really should not be an issue.
Happy hunting!
Your correct in that the distance is greater to the target the higher in the air you are, But remember that as soon as your arrow is not shooting flat, there is less effect from gravity so the arrow will normally hit higher.

I no longer have the math figures, but it was proven in the past that if your measurements were from the base of the tree (to certain points in the area) from before range finders, the distance up the tree and the less of an effect of gravity on the flight of the arrow, the point of impact would be less then 6" of range measurement (90' compared to 90'6" range). Not enough to worry yourself about.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Gravity acts to pull a projectile towards the earth (for ease of discussion say it pulls perpendicular to flat ground.) So when you are on flat ground and fire an arrow parallel to the earth, gravity will affect the trajectory during the entire distance (typically how we sight in). But if you are up in a tree, or not on flat ground, you fire the arrow at angle relative to flat ground, and gravity will only affect the trajectory for the horizontal distance to the target, not the entire distance. The math is as described in the post above. As the angle between the arrow's flight path and the horizontal increases, the less gravity will affect the trajectory. At typical shot distances (20 or 30 yards) and at trees stand heights (as shown above) the difference in POI will be pretty minimal - because the angle is small (30 yards line of sight, 21' up a tree, angle = 13.49 degrees. But at the same distance LOS (30 yards) and shooting at a 45 degree angle (say up a steep hill or down a steep hill) the horizontal distance is only 21 yards - which will result in a significant POI change - typically resulting a high hit or a "shoot over" miss.

So IMHO, flat-ish ground, and treestands, you don't need an ARC range finder. Hunting steep terrain where the shot angle will be high relative to flat ground, I'd definitely have one.

Hope this helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><