Switching broad heads ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LongCarbine

Switching broad heads ?

Post by LongCarbine »

I'm thinking about changing from Swhackers to Grimreapers . Any one have any thoughts ?
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
mchurch

Re: Switching broad heads ?

Post by mchurch »

I have shot the crossbow version grim reaper razortip from my excalibur matrix 380 into targets. I shot both the practice head and the actual head. They both shot very well. I never hunted with them because one blade seemed to open quite a bit easier than the other two blades
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Are you having problems with the Swhackers? If so, what's going on?
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Lake shooter wrote:Are you having problems with the Swhackers? If so, what's going on?
No not really , but I did have to sharpen some of them out of the package and 1 out of 6 had a lot of run out . Just looking for something better .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks. I'll be using them for the first time on my 380. I did notice that the wing blades weren't super sharp, but on mine at least, the main blades are plenty sharp.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I bought a pack of the Reaper crossbow heads and wasnt really impressed with them . Had alot of run out and not very sharp . I could of sharpened them and used them but the run out turned me off . May try them again in the future .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

8ptbuk wrote:I bought a pack of the Reaper crossbow heads and wasnt really impressed with them . Had alot of run out and not very sharp . I could of sharpened them and used them but the run out turned me off . May try them again in the future .
Boy! That's what I'm trying to get away from ! . Maybe there's something else out there ?
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Switch to Slick Trick 100gr Magnums. Always perform great Fly to same point of impact as 100gr field tips, Super sharp, create great blood trails.

Never lost a critter using them, up to and including big bull elk.

No muss, no fuss, always reliable and dependable performance!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

LongCarbine wrote:Boy! That's what I'm trying to get away from ! . Maybe there's something else out there ?
Maybe I got a bad pack . Alot of people like them and use them . Just relating my experience with them . Long heads usually tend to have more run out than short heads . Just my opinion . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I second the slick tricks I shoot A Equinox with 175 grain slick trick heads and have taken 8 deer and two turkeys with them all game recovered under 100 yards many much shorter distance.
if you find your bolt just replace the blades and you are ready to go this is a very tuff head and very sharp blades that fly well.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

What is run out ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Lake shooter wrote:Thanks. I'll be using them for the first time on my 380. I did notice that the wing blades weren't super sharp, but on mine at least, the main blades are plenty sharp.

i think your refering to the shwackers?
The wing blades deploy the main blades, if the wings are too sharp i would think the main blades would open late?

thats just my thinking, Im certainly not a shwacker pro, in fact im not sold on those heads at all. Ive had a bad experience but it could have been my fault as much as the heads fault. It just seems that when i have a bad experience, its always when im using expandables, with the exception of the x-acts.

this year its the G5 stiker mags for me out of the 380, and the good 'ol slick tricks for the Y25!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Thanks Scott,

The only mechanical I've ever used was the 3 blade Rage; a true POS IMHO as I've already said in another thread. I had the exact same thoughts as you about the sharpness or lack thereof on the Swhacker wing blades, but one of my three seems excessively dull to me.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

DaGriz wrote:Switch to Slick Trick 100gr Magnums. Always perform great Fly to same point of impact as 100gr field tips, Super sharp, create great blood trails.

Never lost a critter using them, up to and including big bull elk.

No muss, no fuss, always reliable and dependable performance!
x2
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I made a jig to spin test my heads with years ago . But another way is to set the tip of the head in the palm of your left hand and lay the shaft betwen two finger nails on your right hand and gently blow the fletching so the shaft spins . You can see and feel any run out ( wobble ) there is . PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU TRY THIS !!! It takes a little practice but works great .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]