Revised Arrow Question--Lighted Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Revised Arrow Question--Lighted Nocks

Post by Hi5 »

I've paid little attention to changes in equipment but I'm starting to think that the lighted nocks could be a practical feature. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is it advisable to add weight to the front of the arrow to offset this extra rear weight?

(I shoot 125 grain broadheads, but I also use the 25 grain aluminum thread-in weight so that the broadhead will extend out to clear the butt of the limbs. ----I use the 1&1/2" wide Stryker Magnum broadheads.--- If I don't use the weight/extender, depending on how the blades are turned, they're wide enough to make light contact with the limb butt. My arrows fly well. However, if I put more weight at the rear by using lighted nocks, am I going to create problems unless I add even more weight to the front?)

2. I don't intend to have all my arrows equipped with lighted nocks. Do arrows not equipped with lighted nocks fly the same as those equipped?

3. If you use arrows equipped with lighted nocks for practice, how much shooting can they withstand before they begin to fail?

4. What's the shelf life of the battery used for the nocks?

5. How expensive are the batteries, how easy are they to replace?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Hi5

Re: Revised Arrow Question--Lighted Nocks

Post by Hi5 »

There must be some well informed dudes out there who can supply SOME of the answers!!!!

Please!!
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Hi5 wrote:There must be some well informed dudes out there who can supply SOME of the answers!!!!

Please!!
Be patient there is a wealth of info here And Im sure one of them will chime in :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Hi5 wrote:I've paid little attention to changes in equipment but I'm starting to think that the lighted nocks could be a practical feature. I do have a few questions though.

1. Is it advisable to add weight to the front of the arrow to offset this extra rear weight?

(I shoot 125 grain broadheads, but I also use the 25 grain aluminum thread-in weight so that the broadhead will extend out to clear the butt of the limbs. ----I use the 1&1/2" wide Stryker Magnum broadheads.--- If I don't use the weight/extender, depending on how the blades are turned, they're wide enough to make light contact with the limb butt. My arrows fly well. However, if I put more weight at the rear by using lighted nocks, am I going to create problems unless I add even more weight to the front?)

2. I don't intend to have all my arrows equipped with lighted nocks. Do arrows not equipped with lighted nocks fly the same as those equipped?

no

3. If you use arrows equipped with lighted nocks for practice, how much shooting can they withstand before they begin to fail?

Ive never had any issues with lighted nock's 100's of shot's

4. What's the shelf life of the battery used for the nocks?
I had well over 40 hr's on some of my target nock's .on & off .I can't say the shelf life for sure .All i know is i never had one go out yet.

5. How expensive are the batteries, how easy are they to
replace?
easy in the lumenok for me .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shoot the burnt coyote lumenoks and I like them a lot They add about 27 grains i believe over a standard nock .
I did not add weight to the front of my bolt but my set up is different than yours I shoot a 175 grain slick trick with 2 in blazer vanes helical and get great flight, you may need a bit of weight up front but shoot them at a target and see what happens. I really do not notice much impact difference between my lighted bolts and the non lighted ones at hunting ranges less than an inch but I sight in with broadheads and lighted nocks.
Battery life is a long time I have not had one go dead yet on me and some are a few years old I am not sure of the cost on them.
On some short shots the travel time is so short the lighted nock is not a big help but on some of my kills I have a mental video of the nock like a laser beam to the target confirming the hit a real nice thing for these old eyes.
Try them you will like them.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Big John

Post by Big John »

PM me and I will give you any info you would like to know. :wink: Not only on the Arrows, but the Lumenok's as well. I am a Dealer.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Big John wrote:PM me and I will give you any info you would like to know. :wink: Not only on the Arrows, but the Lumenok's as well. I am a Dealer.

Big John
See Hi5 patience is a virtue :wink:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

big John is the man to talk to about arrows and lumenoks. He can not only give you info but can whip up a beautiful set of lighted hunting arrows and a set of regular practice arrows that are weight matched. That way if one gets away or you get a Robin Hood, it does not hurt the pocket book as hard. Big John's craftmanship and prices are second to none.

I can tell you the replacement batteries cost me $2.50 each on Amazon and will last you a season or more depending on use.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Aaaah! That's the kind of information I was hoping to receive!

Thanks to all who replied. 8)