Accurace improved for my new Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Archerhunter

Accurace improved for my new Matrix 380

Post by Archerhunter »

I like speed so tried shooting a diablo 350 grain bolt but groups would not tighten up beyond 2 inches at 20-30yards. I kicked it up another 25 grains by changing to a 125 grain field point to make it 375 grain bolt and that did the trick. Groups tightened up to around a 1.5 inch at 20 yards. I just had a little side to side issue to overcome but solved that by changing my rope cocker and paying closer attention to cocking process. The factory rope cocker was so short that when I hooked it up to string it put to much tension on it so it did not hold in center so I made it longer so it just has enough tension to hold the hooks on no more. This little change along with me concentrating on cocking bow with hands and elbows tight to body to keep hooks close to rail of bow drawing with even pressure on both handles made this thing shoot like a machine consistently out to fifty yards under 2 inch groups and 1 inch groups at 20-30 yards. I topped my hunting bolts with the 125 grain spitfire max and it shoots sweet and dropped a nice doe with it already. If anyone has additional tips respond to my post with them. Hope this helps you get a little more meat in the freezer and keeps them shots in the ten ring. :lol:
Lake shooter

Re: Accurace improved for my new Matrix 380

Post by Lake shooter »

I'm new to this, but I've already noticed that even if you start out with the left hook (right handed) set right next to the stock, it winds up being about 1/4" away from the same after I pull the string up and connect the right hook. I have to slide it back into the stock, then both hooks are set the same. You may of course already do/know this.
Archerhunter

Post by Archerhunter »

That is exactly what was happening and by making rope longer it stays in center easier because you only have to pickup string about a half inch to hook the hooks to it. :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

I suggest squeezing the rope cocker claws together tight against the mainframe everytime before pullup.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

My 380 shoots much tighter groups using the C2 crank. I cock before I go to hunt and carry the rope cocker as a backup.
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I don't think the rope cocker was causing your inaccuracies. Mine is super short, the string is already up to the arrow retainer before I draw back, and I can produce 3-arrow, 3 inch groups at 50y. It's pretty hard to cock these bows off-center, when properly using a cocking aid. So I actually tried to and couldn't get the side-to-side movement you describe, granted these were 20y chip shots, may have been different at longer yardages of course The heavier arrow is what solved your problem IMO.

I have heard its a good idea to mark it on your serving once the bow if cocked on center, but I've never bothered.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Archerhunter

Post by Archerhunter »

I was thinking about C2 cocker it would be the most consistent cocking tool for bow. Could anyone give me more input into this and if it would be worth looking into it. I also have seen some archers are using tenpoint cocking system with Excalibur crossbows. I would like as much input on this from anyone.
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

The C2 is great. Well made lets you control and watch the process of cocking the bow. I even go as far as making sure equal wraps of cord are on each side. The stock cord is fine but I upgraded to stronger Kevlar just in case as I run a 380. One of the perks is with the stringing aid and the C2 adjusting/ changing the string is a pleasure. If you shoot often it really shines. I shoot with my 9 yr. old so I really like the fact it saves my back. I also de-cock with it Excalibur frowns on this but it can be done if you are careful (I use a pencil to hold the dry fire )
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Boo

Post by Boo »

FNARSCOT wrote:(I use a pencil to hold the dry fire )
I can't wait! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Honestly, I don't know how my 380 could be any more accurate. It almost seems like magic considering I just came over from 18 years with a vertical bow!

Hope you find what you're looking for.
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

It's not the destination .It's the journey!! I and others enjoy tuning our gear to try to get the most we can from any given piece of kit. The Industry keeps it's hand on the pulse of the public (If they are smart like Excalibur ) and adjust to suit. Is the 380 Matrix a awesome crossbow? Hell Yeah! Is there room for improvement. ALLWAYS! Some think they are perfect as is .COOL! Will they do the job as is? Yup! Will I try to make it better ? YOU BET! The trick is to be honest with yourself and others. If a modification has a negative point it out. It may have a positive that out weights it's negative for your needs but not for others. I am sure the Matrix shoot way better than I do already. Perhaps this is all in my head!! Sorry to go off on a tangent .Gotta Go! The Nurse is coming and it's time for my meds. Besides being in restraints makes typing hard on my nose!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

If you really want to improve accuracy ditch the Easton Diablos and shoot Black spine matched and indexed Eagle Executioners.

The accuracy change will be like switching from a 30-30 lever rifle to a bolt action sniper rifle.
Excalibur Exomax
Scorpyd Vent.
TenPoint Stealth SS
Hawke Scopes
BEE Arrows
Flex Fletch Vanes
Rocket & Slick Trick Broadheads
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Ghostman wrote:If you really want to improve accuracy ditch the Easton Diablos and shoot Black spine matched and indexed Eagle Executioners.

The accuracy change will be like switching from a 30-30 lever rifle to a bolt action sniper rifle.
X2!

Funny, I didn't even catch that Archer was using diablos.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I am using GT Laser 111's and 100grn G5 Strikers and getting 1-2" groups out to 90yrds. Shot a 3 arrow group at 90 and 3rd arrow cut arrows 1&2 in half! Expensive group but I am loving this 380 more than any of my many other excal's of past.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
FNARSCOT wrote:(I use a pencil to hold the dry fire )
I can't wait! :mrgreen:
Your horns are showin' :lol: