Weird accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dand

Weird accuracy

Post by Dand »

Bought matrix 380 a few months ago. Was sighted in and shooting great. Use diablo bolts with 125 grain practice heads and 125 grain rage broad heads. We'll shot some practice shoots this past weekend after hunting the morning.....was shooting 5-6 inches high at 30 yards.....adjusted scope....then low. Adjusted scope back to what seemed where I had started. Then noticed some string wear where the string hits the red pad....then noticed the red pads were split and string was stuck in the pad.....rotated the pad so the string would not go into pad. So I am assuming I will have to adjust brace height to keep string from slamming into pad. Do you think this could be causing my erratic accuracy.....or do you think it may be the scope?????? I checked all bolts mount screws....all seem tight. Could be my shooting also I guess but seemed like I was consistent when shooting. Any thought would be appreciated!!!!!
Zap

Re: Weird accuracy

Post by Zap »

When in doubt use a bench or other solid rest.
Where it hits is where it hits.

Not knowledgeable enough to answer the question about the silencers.
Duck or Bleed.....
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

it could be your arrows....
use the same arrow, with the same vein pointing downward so there is no variation in your shots...
then use a steady bench rest.
if there is still discrepancies in accuracy, then try in with another arrow.
if you keep getting misaligned shots, then its your scope.

you have checked all your bolts and your tiller right?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

ps, keep your string between 4mm and 2mm away from the pads for better pad life.
wabi

Post by wabi »

No experience with the string stops, but that sounds like a likely problem with the brace height too low.
Loose bolts are another possibility, and I've had a few scopes fail and cause shifts in POI over the years.

If it were mine I'd:
1. - adjust the brace height to provide good clearance from the stops.
2. - check all fasteners (especially the scope base & rings).
3. - try another scope if 1&2 don't cure the problem.
4. - if all the above fail send it back to Excalibur to be evaluated.
wabi
WhoToo

Post by WhoToo »

You might also check your stock screws. My Vortex started misbehaving suddenly and I found the forend screw had worked loose. Good luck.
strum

Post by strum »

Dand im with wabi on this on..for sure...adjust that brace so that the string is off those rubbers..let us know how it works out :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Put a couple twist in the string 3 twist to start.Then shhot to see if your brace has moved.If it has ,your string is not stretched properly yet.How many shot's has the bow shot?
It took 30 shot's for my string to settle in where it's at.With a flemish string .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Excal1

Post by Excal1 »

My 380 has a sweet spot at 2.5 string widths off the REDS. I marked the riser once I found it. If the string settles more over time, my poi is off. Are you shooting freehand or off a rest?
*** Matrix 405
*** Matrix 380
Hawke XB30
Hawke XB30 Pro
xcaliber strings
Boo strings
BE Executioner & Zombie

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

If you take the stopper system off give yourself at least 1'' brace height, measure up from where the riser meets the rail, the brace height was already to low to tear the bumpers up any way.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Dand

Post by Dand »

Thanks for all the responses!!!!! How do you remove the reds???? Does the metal that attaches to the front just screw out???? New to bows and crossbow....what is tiller????? When I twist the string can you just twist one side or twist both ends the same amount of times????
Dand

Post by Dand »

I was shooting sitting and resting my bow on a bipod. Dand