Equipment scent control???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lswoody

Equipment scent control???

Post by lswoody »

Don't really like the idea of spraying scent eliminator on my crossbow, rifle or blackpowder rifle. Was thinking as far as my crossbow that I could lightly sprinkle some baking soda inside my soft case but not so sure if I should. Thinking it could dry the string out? And possibily some could get in the trigger housing and cause problems. So what do you all do? Thanks!!!
Proverbs 3:5-6
Kegbelly

Re: Equipment scent control???

Post by Kegbelly »

Keep fresh pine or cedar boughs in the case. In a gun case I put them under the foam padding so needles dont get into the trigger etc.
Could probably accomplish the same thing with the pine cover-scent wafers, be less messy.
edit... also dont over-oil, they might not know its gun oil but deer can sure smell it and they know it's something that doesnt belong in the woods
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I buy little bags from the dollar store, I think they are made for washing fine clothing. It is a bag with lots of holes, almost like screen but nylon.
I pick up cedar, as mentioned, or leaves from the lands I hunt on and store my clothes in bins, with these bags.
The bags are about the size of a shoebox, of course I do not fill them though.
Mostly though, I hunt in the right winds, then it does not matter what you smell like.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Hunt the wind and you won't have a problem. Absolutely no reason to scent control your xbow unless it's to satisfy a personal desire to do so. No amount of these ripoff scent control products will stop a deer from smelling if the wind is not in your favour. My grandpa used to chain smoke in the stand (no Camo) and he always brought home deer for his family. Just my opinion and it's not intended to offend anyone.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
needmorebacon

Post by needmorebacon »

I just drop one of those fresh earth scent wafers in my soft case once in a while. I use them more to put my mind at ease than anything else.
2011 Axiom
GT Laser II-Right Helical
175gr. Slick Tricks
353 gr. overall bolt
wabi

Post by wabi »

tman74 wrote:Hunt the wind and you won't have a problem. Absolutely no reason to scent control your xbow unless it's to satisfy a personal desire to do so. No amount of these ripoff scent control products will stop a deer from smelling if the wind is not in your favour. My grandpa used to chain smoke in the stand (no Camo) and he always brought home deer for his family. Just my opinion and it's not intended to offend anyone.
X2

Your grandpa sounds a lot like me. :lol:
wabi
Drew

Post by Drew »

X3, as soon as you exhale you are leaving a scent trail there is just no way to eliminate it so why spend $$ to chase it. Best bet is use the wind to advantage. That being said, I wash my camo without soap and a few extra rinse cycles and store it in a plastic tote. I throw in a handful of maple/oak leaves and call it good. Don't know if it helps but it can't hurt.
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Just fart they will come ,think it's a buck grunting.No need for scent control . :lol: :lol:
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Drew wrote:X3, as soon as you exhale you are leaving a scent trail there is just no way to eliminate it so why spend $$ to chase it.
Agreed! Other than hunting the wind I am careful what I touch. I do spray my clothes with a scent eliminator for that reason.
Your scalp is another major offender. The skin is replaced all the time and your hair (if you have any :mrgreen: ) holds it on and it rots :shock: . That skin that rots gasifies :shock: and caused a smell that deer can detect for a long way off.
I guess deer think people are smelly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

X4. During any gun season, I'm sure you can smell the WD-40 if you're downwind from me. I use the WD-40 to keep my scent off the gun. :lol:

Bow season is no different. Hunt the wind, or hunt high. When possible, do both.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I keep my hunting clothes in plastic totes in the garage and I toss one of the scent wafers in each tote. The clothes will absorb the scent, even after washing they still retain the scent.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
rayman

Post by rayman »

Used to argue with my friends about what type of tobacco spit makes the best cover scent. I always felt like I had the best luck with Red Man, maybe because it smells a lot like cheap sweet feed. Haven't touched the nasty mess in a long time so I have had to resort to using special body soap, laundry soap, and earth cover scent. :)