Do You Hunt When It's Windy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Drew

Do You Hunt When It's Windy?

Post by Drew »

It has been windier than crazy here in SE Michigan. Just wondering if its worth sitting in the stand on windy days. Will deer be up and moving or do they bed down and hold tight under these conditions?
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
bowman81

Re: Do You Hunt When It's Windy?

Post by bowman81 »

I hunt in the wind...until it is blowing hard enough to be dangerous. The deer are spooky with their sense of smell, hearing and sight being worked overtime. It is a great time to still hunt if you have the place to do it.
I have never shot a deer from my couch watching TV, nor sitting at my computer desk......although I have seen some guys blinds and I'm not too sure about them... :P
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

YES! ESP when it's windy on continuous days. I find the midday to be a total lull though. This time if the year in SE MI is never bad to be on stand. Saw a lot of deer yest and tons of activity...get up there!

NOTE: I hunted my 16' ladders instead of my 25' skyscrapers because you'd sway so much up there that accuracy is now compromised...it was pretty windy the last few days, still is really. Not a bad idea to sit on the ground either. For days like these, I usually prep a couple brush blinds in summer as my go-to spots when the wind howls.

I also find the does are now really starting to key in on food sources and the bucks have been right on their heels, entering fields and bait sites a few mins after the she-deer.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

yup. had some of my best days with a good breeze. if its blowin one direction you can really use it to set up downwind of an area. you can get away with some movement and noise too.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Windy days some are good some are bad! Depending if'en it be from a steady direction or swirlin! Unless a front is movin in here on my ridge it swirls almost all of the time & its bad fer huntin. Steady go to yer stand that is opposite of the most deer direction, so they don't pick up on yer scent
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the wind is constant from one direction it can even be an advantage. If swirling and shifting directions deer are super alert and the slightest whiff of human scent can spook them.
I've killed a few deer in windy conditions but I've also had a lot of them bust me and take off.
Still better odds than setting at home. :lol:
wabi
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Yep, Thursday evening windy seen deer! Friday evening calm no deer? Bucks are chasing does. Hunt if you can. Good luck!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D
wabi wrote:If the wind is constant from one direction it can even be an advantage. If swirling and shifting directions deer are super alert and the slightest whiff of human scent can spook them.
I've killed a few deer in windy conditions but I've also had a lot of them bust me and take off.
Still better odds than setting at home. :lol:
x2
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Great advice, thanks all! I'll be heading out shortly. Wish me luck!
Drew
2013 Matrix 355 Xtra
TT Single Stage
Nikon Bolt XR
Boo & Xcalibur flemish strings
18" BE Zombie Slayers
VPA 3-blade broadheads
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Good time to scout or hang stands . Still hunt If you must .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I have still hunted before in the wind not really my favorite the wind that is.
Seems to mess with the Deer's senses as well as my one good ear that works in listening for them in which way or direction they are moving.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Most time when it,s windy I just pick the side of a hill that ,s not affected as much or down in the creek bottom out of the wind if I can.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I like to hunt big winds, or big rain, but not both at the same time.
Great time to spot and stalk. if you know where the deer bed, or seek shelter.

Here is some good info:

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/pra ... wind-rain/
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
cevans

Post by cevans »

You will find a buck in full rut is crazy and doesn't care what the weather is like. I have killed big racked bucks in the 40mph, blowing snow and 20 degrees of miserable cold. Most deer will seek cover or a draw to get out of the elements when severe, but a ruttin buck is at his weakest moment and you have to be there when he is present. Same goes with rain or snowing like all get out and same goes with intense fog...deer love it as well. Can't kill deer on the couch. Keep hunting.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.