Newbie - some questions /S5, arrows/

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xmaco

Newbie - some questions /S5, arrows/

Post by xmaco »

Hi, I am new happy owner of Excal Eclipse XL. I am from Slovakia, Europe and I'd like to say Hallo to all of you.
I'll use it for hobby and 3D. I am slowly working on shooting technique/mostly standing without aby support/ that is not so easy... :shock: I' d like to ask you for advice regarding arrows, string and S5 pads. I have already destroyed 5 arrows which were hit to the rear insert. I am shooting with original Excal Firebolts. I know that it is good to shoot just one arrow in a target spot but there is impossible for 3D tournaments. IMO this rear insert is '"calling to shot into it"due to it's design. Is it same with any other flat nocks, or there are some more resistant/ something like collar for bow' Lightspeed arrows/? Do you have experience with TenPoint ProElite arrows /Easton/ , Easton Bloodline/Flatline or CE Maxima hunter? Only those are available here. One of my S5 pads is damaged just after approx. 150 shots and one small stand of string is already out /was tear off just in the place where string is in contact with S5 pad/. Is it normal? String was carefully waxed. Thanks for advice. :idea:
Excal Eclipse XT
Firebolts 125 FP
Hoyt CRX 35
Lightspeed 3D
racking up points

Re: Newbie - some questions /S5, arrows/

Post by racking up points »

Unusual wear for 150 shots on those s5 bumpers!

You might want to adjust your brace height, (distance from bumper pad to the front of the string), by adding some twists to back it off the pads if they are in contact with the limbs at rest. Two string widths off the pads seems a good distance for me. Replace the damaged ones, then grind off a 1/3 of the ball that retains the s5 bumpers, it improves their life by distributing the force throughout the pad, instead of just the face of it taking the impact. Check out boocustomstrings.com for more info. Makes a big difference for pad life and shock...easy too, takes only a few mins if you have basic tools.

For arrows, go with Black Eagle Executionners. Order from Big John, (PM him), and he'll send you weight matched arrows which would probably suit your target needs, he's really good and his arrows are very consistent, but you best not be blowing them up like those fire bolts you have, you'll break the bank! Way more accurate than the Excal arrows you're busting up now!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
xmaco

Re: Newbie - some questions /S5, arrows/

Post by xmaco »

I'll try to proper adjust BH, but now it not possible, I am unable to untwist string - it is already to full / it is too short/ and there is still more than 1/4 space between string and bumper. Thanks for advice.
Excal Eclipse XT
Firebolts 125 FP
Hoyt CRX 35
Lightspeed 3D