mobile stand vs stationary

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

schrona1

mobile stand vs stationary

Post by schrona1 »

I have used the same stands built from 2x6 and lagged to a couple trees with a wooden ladder with aluminium rungs for over two decades; I was wondering how stable are the mobile units? I do like the idea of hunting outside my 120 acre comfort zone, however I really like the stability of my hand built units, What suggestions do you have as far as a nice stable moveable stand setup?
strum

Re: mobile stand vs stationary

Post by strum »

summit viper . solid as rock once you get set up. plenty of room too.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
cevans

Post by cevans »

Ladder sticks and lock ons for me. Takes about 30 minutes of being quiet and silently installing without making a lot of noise. Only down side is packing in about 50-60 lbs as I use the smaller steel ones but also have a couple of aluminum made ones. Lots of choices for stands. I mostly stand when I hunt all day long as to being able to see and shoot 360 degrees. If sitting its only for a break from standing so many hours. Just my preference. Also,,,the smaller lock ons are not as comfy as a ladder stand or bigger lock on stands. Some of the bigger lock on stands have a chair type seat and you can sleep in them. :) I also have and use a older Loggy Bayou climber that is aluminum made and nice and light..but hate the climbers as they can be alittle noisy going up and down...especially down. Don't care for the noise tho.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another vote for the Viper.
I got the two side bags for mine, on one side is my harness, and on the other is a foldable pruning saw and binoculars.
There is no place I can't go and scale a tree at a moments notice. It is light, quiet (now), and pretty near the most comfortable seat I have ever sat in.
I could not imagine hunting without one. Nothing gets left behind, and it gives you flexibility to move, if necessary.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

Thanks for the input; Sounds like I should look into the Viper model, I will check out the availability in my location and give it a try...
strum

Post by strum »

when you look at them you should know the "classic" model is the steel one ..its much heavier then the newer "SD" version which is alum.
I do like Pyd I have a small bag on mine..it has a saw, pull up rope, and my hooks to hang my Crossbow and backpack .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

At 73 yrs young (tomorrow), and having had 3 stand mishaps to my been-rode hard-put- away- wet too many times credit, I only trust permanent stands or quality ladder stands (with sides and shooting rail, safety vest and safety rope) these days. But the most portable 'stand' is my ghillie suit. Hard to fall off the ground
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

I have a Summit Bushmaster, which is basically a Viper w/an open front. Comfy enough to fall asleep in! :D Saving pennies for the Viper. :wink: As it will be easier to climb by sitting on bar and standing versus putting weight on arms and lifting legs. Still not hard but sit and climb will be much easier.
Wouldn't even consider another stand other than Summit since I've had my Bushmaster. Just upgrade to Viper and I'm set. jmo.
Good Luck and be safe.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Summit Viper it is so comfortable it aught to be Illegal :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
schrona1

Post by schrona1 »

much appreciated everyone, I will be buying the Viper Model and see how it compares; I know it won't be what I am used to, but thank you everyone whole hearted and very grateful for the advice..Very appreciative for the knowledge on this forum:) Some truly heads up individuals on here, Thanks again...
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Cossack wrote:At 73 yrs young (tomorrow), and having had 3 stand mishaps to my been-rode hard-put- away- wet too many times credit, I only trust permanent stands or quality ladder stands (with sides and shooting rail, safety vest and safety rope) these days. But the most portable 'stand' is my ghillie suit. Hard to fall off the ground

^^^^^ This.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

I also use a viper and its great. Go to youtube and check out some of the vids..
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I have a Summit Razor X5. It's a sit and stand climber, but after your up the tree, the bar that you sit on when climbing, folds out of the way. Some do not like not having a bar of some sort in front. I bought it when I was using a Vertical bow, and it made for a completely open front. I guess I'm used to it. I had a chance to sit in it before buying, and it was much more comfortable than my API. My lower back used to ache after just a few hours on stand.

As a side note, I hook up from the ground up. Safety harness all the way. Takes a few more minutes getting up the tree, as I have to keep moving the rope around the tree up, but at least I know I'm safe. Never had an accident, but had a few close calls when turning around to the top, either after going up, or getting ready to come down. The last couple of years have been good, and no close calls, guess I'm getting good at it.......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I have a Summit also and love it. Believe me, you will see way more deer and especially quality bucks when you show up in a new spot the first time or two! 8)
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Roadrunnr72, I like the PETA thingy. Reminds me of the quote from uncle Ted: "If god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT"!!! :D