Where to aim?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

filly

Where to aim?

Post by filly »

Alright, I'll confess, never shot a deer with a bow yet, vertical or horizontal. So, got a little trig for ya. Say my tree is 20 yards from the deer, ground distance. I am 10 yards up in the tree. Am I taking a 20 yard shot or a 22 yard shot. In case you're not up on your trig, this is an a^2 + b^2 = c^2 problem. Do the math, and the line of sight distance from me in the stand to the deer is 22 yards. I know 2 yards really don't matter, but for the sake of discussion...
Pydpiper

Re: Where to aim?

Post by Pydpiper »

If c+2 square is the same as 5-6b+, 6bh will always=7r2#.
Aim for the lungs, unless you are confident, aim for the heart.
Dead deer = venison.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wilkster

Post by wilkster »

lol! thats priceless dead deer = venison

however confindent or not the lungs is the biggest vital zone to shoot and from a tree stand trajectary can limit your shot so go big,these crossbows got some serious hitting power more so then any compound bow i ever took an animal with
filly

Post by filly »

I should clarify...I know "where" to aim. I'm asking if you need to shoot based upon the range from hunter to deer or tree base to deer. Does being elevated change things due to the arrow flying more in line with the force of gravity than if you were on the ground where you experience projectile drop?
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Pydpiper wrote:If c+2 square is the same as 5-6b+, 6bh will always=7r2#.
That's exactly what I was gonna say :lol: :lol:

Like Pydpiper said, aim for the lungs. The steeper the angle your shot is, the higher you need to aim on the deer to be sure your arrow passes thru the center of the deer and passes thru the vitals as well. Good luck!

Edit... ok just saw your clarification. IMO no, you dont really need to adjust much for angles with a crossbow, they shoot so fast and flat these days it's not like the arcing trajectory of bows in the past where you really had to allow for your elevation.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
rayman

Post by rayman »

It's not as big of a difference as it is when shooting from elevated position with a vertical bow. Don't have to worry about bending at the waist either. :)
wabi

Post by wabi »

The only compensation I ever make is to adjust my aiming point on the exterior of the deer to put the arrow through both lungs. The entry wound may look way too far back and high on a quartering away deer, but if the broadhead catches both lungs on it's way through it will always be a short tracking job.
wabi
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

filly wrote:Alright, I'll confess, never shot a deer with a bow yet, vertical or horizontal. So, got a little trig for ya. Say my tree is 20 yards from the deer, ground distance. I am 10 yards up in the tree. Am I taking a 20 yard shot or a 22 yard shot. In case you're not up on your trig, this is an a^2 + b^2 = c^2 problem. Do the math, and the line of sight distance from me in the stand to the deer is 22 yards. I know 2 yards really don't matter, but for the sake of discussion...
In answer to your distance question, it is still a 20 yard shot. So use your 20 yard crosshair/chevron/pin.

To echo what others have said, the important thing at any angle is to visualize the path your arrow will take through the deer in relation to the deer's organs. THAT will determine where on the surface of the deer you place your 20 yard crosshair/chevron/pin.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
filly

Post by filly »

Yeah, I'm good to go on visualizing the arrow trajectory and such...was just wondering about being up in a tree and the true distance being greater than ground distance.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

The true ballistic distance is the horizontal distance: that is to say that if it was possible to be 100' above your target but the horizontal distance to it is 10 yards, 10 yards is all that matters. Still, and as others have said, these things are so fast that compensation for angles and such is close to moot.

My 380 shoots a 375 gr projectile only about 9" lower at 40 yards than twenty, aiming at the same spot with the 20 yard crosshairs at those two yardages. That's pretty darn flat!

The Q and A to the left recommends aiming for the heart because even if the animal ducks, you still get both lungs. That's great advice in my book, and hitting lower rather higher will usually resulting a much better blood trail.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Usually in yer shot the arrow will hit about an inch higher than yer aimin pt
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
filly

Post by filly »

Thanks, Lake Shooter...your first paragraph is what I was talking about.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Glad to help out!

I do have an angle compensating range finder that I bought a few years back when I was shooting a vertical bow. As others have also said, there's not much difference at normal hunting heights and ranges, but using my example, things can get pretty dicy when you're high and the target is really close, horizontally!

At the velocities of most compound bows, it can really get interesting!!!!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Killed a lot of deer with vertical and crossbow and I always aim for the heart. The deer will in a lot of cases try to get out of the way of the arrow as it gets there and they usually squat before they turn or jump so know your yardage and hold low and your success will greatly increase.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bolt chucker

Post by bolt chucker »

Aim for the heart. And use what yardage my chuck Adams ARC tells me to. Or as my Dad would say. JUST SHOOT THE DAMN THING ALREADY!!!!