Reason why south Florida gets damn crowded during winter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lake shooter

Reason why south Florida gets damn crowded during winter

Post by Lake shooter »

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USFL0500

Let's see here: 23 degrees outside and the roads covered with sleet and freezing rain so I can't even safely go deer hunting, or 70ish and heading out from my sister's house (Vero Beach FL) for an early morning fishing trip in the salt................ :?

The weather guessers say that temps will reach the mid to high 30's with sunshine this afternoon. If so (that's a big if) and the roads get safer I sure would like to get out in the woods for an afternoon hunt in the honeysuckle thickets! 8)
I can't stand the cold but here I live, and I gotta get out of the house and decompress!!!! :roll:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mo wannabe

Re: Reason why south Florida gets damn crowded during winter

Post by Mo wannabe »

I here u lake shooter I'm in the same deal. That sweet little girl I married 40 yrs ago ain't so sweet after being couped up with in this storm :roll:

I'm ready to SHOOT something !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

:shock: :lol: 8) :wink: !!!!!!

You better hope that she doesn't read this or what sweetness is left might quickly disappear!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Man.......... Freaking cold is bad enough, but being house bound for fear of the other idiots on the road slamming into me just sucks! I took our 5 month old Rav4 out yesterday for it's first ice excursion. Even though it's not all wheel drive it IS front wheel drive, and that combined with common sense and logic had me going up icy hills that had cars and trucks abandoned on both sides, no problem.

I'm ready to load another deer into that puppy and haul it home! :twisted:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

By the way, my wife was born and raised in Bono Arkansas, not far from the boot heel. How far are you from there?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Lake shooter wrote:http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weathe ... n=USFL0500

Let's see here: 23 degrees outside and the roads covered with sleet and freezing rain so I can't even safely go deer hunting, or 70ish and heading out from my sister's house (Vero Beach FL) for an early morning fishing trip in the salt................ :?

The weather guessers say that temps will reach the mid to high 30's with sunshine this afternoon. If so (that's a big if) and the roads get safer I sure would like to get out in the woods for an afternoon hunt in the honeysuckle thickets! 8)
I can't stand the cold but here I live, and I gotta get out of the house and decompress!!!! :roll:
Son, consider yourself lucky. Here in No MN it's been negative numbers for day. Hit -20 yesterday, high of +2 (whoo whee) as we speak; warmest it's been for days. That said, my deer hunting is done for the yr. Be headed for the salt come Jan.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I DO consider myself lucky....... I don't know how or why anyone would choose to go through that crap for 6 months ever year, or half their lives!!!!! :shock: Then again, most of us stay fairly close to where we were raised, and our ancestors settled there because the climate was similar to "the old country", meaning that we have the genetics for that climate. We don't know any better or any different, and you probably think that I'm nuts for putting up with the heat and humidity down here! :D

I don't like the Arkansas climate or the lack of the ocean, but the love of my life's parents still live in Bono Arkansas so my decision to stay or leave is academic as long as they're still around. When that changes I'll be doing everything I can to move to the Vero Beach area and hope that I'm still able to do the things that I miss so much....... Like surfing and saltwater fishing!!!!! 8) The deer may be small and the bugs thick down there, but the Arkansas state bird is the Black Marsh Mosquito, so I'm half way there already, and the best part is: it will be WARM year round!!!!! :wink:
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I'm about 25 miles east of poplar bluff mo. Not familiar with that town in ark
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

It's on highway 63 about 10 miles NNW of Jonesboro.
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Lets hope , but I plan on buying in South Florida this winter. Can't wait !
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

It's absolutely unbelievable how many snowbirds head south in their RV's in fall and head back north in spring. I pulled a boat down to Naples years ago about the last week in March. For those of you not familiar with the more temperate regions of the USA, that's close to as far south as you can go on the west coast of Florida. There was an unbroken and unending mass of RV's heading north, and 90% of them had Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan plates!!!! :shock:

One week later I was heading to Zenda Wisconsin to pick up a boat. We stopped to fill up in northern Illinois and parked right behind an RV with Wisconsin plates. The gal who stepped out looked at me kinda funny when I asked her what part of Florida they had come from........ but that was indeed where they had been for months!

A funny aside; when we came into a Lake Geneva to stay the night my wife looked out at the lake and said "What IS that?????? The lake had just started to ice out that day and had blown rafts into the lee shore where we were, she had never seen such a thing! I said "welcome to the subarctic hinterlands"!!!! :lol:
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Lake Shooter, Sorry but we ain't got room down here in Florida for any more Snowbirds. You and Adrian will have to stay in the frozen Northlands. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I can certainly sympathize with you about that Arkansas weather. I spent opening weekend of duck season in Stuggart,Arkansas. It sleeted night and day for 2 days. My layout blind froze solid with me inside. Needless to say, the duck hunting sucked.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Dude........ It ain't even winter yet and we've had frozen precipitation on the ground since last Thursday night. It was only a couple of inches at most, but that's how cold it's been since then!!!!! :oops: :oops:

Did I mention that cold sucks? :roll:
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Not me, I am from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and love it here. My father was born up here and died at age 80 approximately 70 miles from where he was born. http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Marquette+MI+49855

I am retired from the US Air Force and have been stationed in South Carolina, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Give me a blizzard any day over a tornado or hurricane. I can wear more clothes when its cold and move any snow out of my way. Driving in snow is simple just keep your wits about you.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I'm glad that many of you feel that way....... It keeps the population from getting TOO crazy in the warmer zones!!!! :lol:

I'm just the opposite, I prefer wearing as little as possible to be comfortable, and the possibility of being hit a tornado is like getting hit by lightning in these parts: it could surely happen but is darn unlikely. Hurricanes on the gulf and Atlantic coast? That's part of the price paid for living in such an otherwise great place with NO BLIZZARDS! :wink:

As to driving. Driving in snow is easy. Driving on frozen sleet and black ice ain't! My wife absolutely, positively must be at work by 4:00 AM Monday through Friday, no excuses for weather. Being forced to get out in such crazy dangerous stuff ain't any fun. I've never had a problem with it, but it's not me that I worry about: you would not believe some of the crazy crap southerners do when there's winter type precipitation on the roads! :oops:
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Lake Shooter, Sorry but we ain't got room down here in Florida for any more Snowbirds. You and Adrian will have to stay in the frozen Northlands. I can certainly sympathize with you about that Arkansas weather. I spent opening weekend of duck season in Stuggart,Arkansas. It sleeted night and day for 2 days. My layout blind froze solid with me inside. Needless to say, the duck hunting sucked.

Didn't u have the ROBE on ? :D
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only