The Friday the 13th doe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

The Friday the 13th doe

Post by Species8472 »

I picked up my son (13 year old apprentice) at lunch from school and we headed out to do some Xbow hunting. We arrived on site at 1:30pm and were settled by about 2:00 pm. Didn't even occur to me that today was Friday the 13th. Never been superstitious but maybe that will change based on todays hunt.

Temperature when we arrived was -13 but the wind from recent days had completely died. A bit chilly but overall pretty nice conditions. At 4:00 pm we still had not seen anything and my son indicated he had just about had enough. I prevailed on him to only quit if it was truly unbearable - he relented and said he could make it a while longer.

At 4:45 pm a group of 5 does came down the trail headed towards some oats I had put out a few days earlier. We were set up about 100 yards from the oats on a run coming from a well used bedding area. Once they were in the shooting lane my son gave the "bah" sound to stop them. He than let go a firebolt tipped with a 150 grain bolt cutter from his Exocet. The Exocet was purchased used off of another member of this forum.

The doe did a less than impressive donkey kick and all 5 of them ran about 50 yards north of us and stopped in the hardwoods trying to figure out what was going on. They milled around for about 2 minutes and than 4 of them headed off north down into the thicker cedars by the river. The hit doe walked about 10 yards and disappeared into a ravine and we lost sight of her.

Based on her behaviour I thought something might be up so we waited until about 6:30 to start tracking. There was no hair, no arrow and no blood - not a good start. With 5 sets of tracks in the snow to choose from we started tracking what we thought was her trail. After 400 yards we turned around and returned to where we had last seen her and choose a different set of tracks. At this point it was about 7:45pm and the temperature had dropped to -18.

My son had a Xmas party to go to so I decided to take him back to the truck where his mother had arrived to take him to the party. I returned to the ravine and started tracking again. After about 150 yards I caught eyes in the flashlight - problem was even though she was lying down her head was up and moving - but she did not get up and run. I immediately turned the light off and backtracked.

At this point there were numerous coyotes howling in the vicinity and I knew if I left her overnight and returned the next morning she would be eaten. So I camped out just out of sight and started pacing to stay warm. Every 30 min I would sneak in and see if her head was still up. She got up and moved a couple times but never more than 10 yards. Finally at about 10:20 pm she got up one last time and immediately crashed and started convulsing. Convulsions stopped after about 10 seconds and she lay still. Turned out she was liver shot. I waited 5 minutes and with no sign of movement snuck up to her and poked her with a stick a few times - no response.

So after 9 hours (my son was only there for the first 6) in the bush and a 1/2 mile toboggan ride back to the truck my apprentice hunter had his first deer. Forgive the poor pic but it was dark and I was bloody cold at this point - unfortunately my son was not there for the photo - we'll take some more tomorrow before I bring her to the butcher.

So that's the end of my season as I am now officially tagged out unless I party hunt on someone elses tag.

Tally for 2013:

- 3 bucks taken by me
- 1 doe taken by my 13 year old apprentice
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Riflemanz

Re: The Friday the 13th doe

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! Nice recovery!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to your son! and to you for finding and waiting it out
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Man....... Great job, you're tough!!!! :shock:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to yer son on his deer. I commend you on a great recovery!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Nice job :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

What a hunt-Congrats to you and your Son!!!!
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Unless you're a Knight Templar and were sent gave in time there's no need to worry about Friday the 13th!!!!! :wink:

http://www.wesleymission.org.au/archive ... 080613.asp
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Awesome job on a tough recovery. Good for you for sticking it out and doing the right thing. The animals we hunt and kill deserve our respect and appreciation, after all, we have been given stewardship over the beasts of the field. Too bad your boy uad to miss out on being there for the recovery but I have the feeling he'll have plenty more opportunity. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the deer. Great recovery, that made everyones day! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Your dedication towards retrieving this animal is truely admirable!!

Congrats to both of you!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Thanks for the great replies. I am quite sure that most people with a 13 year old son or anyone that's lost a deer to coyotes would have done the same.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend