What an awesome day...x2! Deer FINALLY down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ch312

What an awesome day...x2! Deer FINALLY down

Post by ch312 »

Today, my determination finally paid off!

We've had a warm spell the last couple of days with plenty of rain and today it was pouring so I wasn't going to bother, but the girlfriend who isn't a hunter asked why I wasn't going hunting. When I told her I never hunt days like this and couldn't give her a valid reason she simply said "well, maybe you should start".

An hour later I was walking into the bush with my camo rain suit and no other gear except for my rangefinder. After slowly poking around for nearly 2 kms I finally picked up some fresh tracks in the snow from 5 deer not far from the property line. I covered ground at my usual molasses pace just to find the deer had left the property, which really discouraged me as I figured I had got soak and wet in -1 temps for nothing as the rain coat was useless at this point and I was shivering cold.

Then it happened. Suddenly, what I'm assuming were the same 5 deer appeared and were trotting back towards the property I was on when they passed by at about 60-70 yards (west to east) and out of view into the edge of the forest I was in. I belly crawled as fast as I could to the southeast where I thought they'd go without making a sound and 40 yards later I was in position.

There were 2 large does followed by 3 smaller ones. The first didn't present a shot while the second presented a shot, but there were a few twigs covering her vitals and I didn't want to risk a deflection. The third and smallest presented a shot, but I held out for the 4th which was larger than the 5th. Without ranging the shot I let one fly and heard a loud smack before the deer fled with the one I shot at holding it's tail down. In the 15 minutes I waited to start tracking I recovered my arrow and ranged the shot at 34 yards when I guessed it was 38.

The Rage 3 blade left a good blood trail:

I began still hunting the wounded deer and 100-115 yards from where it was hit I found the deer bedded down, barely alive. Without hesitation I took a neck shot with the same arrow I used for the first shot and it expired in 15-20 seconds. I absolutely hate it when I fail to do my part and put the arrow in the right spot for the quickest kill possible.

I estimated the range properly, but because the deer was walking I hit it a bit too far back catching only one lung and the liver. I believe I would have bumped the wounded deer if I had simply walked up to it casually rather than slowly and silently stalking it.

I ended up losing my broadhead after the second shot as the insert came out of the shaft. I'm thinking it struck a tree behind the deer and the shaft bounced back. I didn't try too hard to recover the head as I figured it was garbage after the two shots anyways.

It may only be a button buck (I thought it was a doe), but it's a trophy in my books. The overwhelming excitement I experienced when I finally connected after all those hours in the bush, hundreds and hundreds of yards crawling around on my belly, and coming close only to see white flags running from me was unbelievable.

I'm still smiling :D

As for the awesome day x2? A family member won $1 million on the Lotto Max lottery! :D
mr meat

Re: What an awesome day...x2! Deer FINALLY down

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the deer and the family member who won the money!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Dash

Post by Dash »

Well done, sounds like a great hunt. That's what it's all about.
maple

Post by maple »

Well done on the determination (kudos to girlfriend on that too!) and the harvest. Good going! Nothing wrong with button bucks.

Guess I don't get to rent your smoker then, eh? :wink:
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
Normous

Post by Normous »

I honestly had a good feeling that you were going to be successfull at season end due to your determination. I'm thinking there is going to be a huge party in your family soon.
Congrats!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Yer patience and persistence paid off!! :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your buck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Way to go and congrats, although that's not what I call a great blood trail! :oops:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to you on a nice deer. You did well on the recovery & the effort involved.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

MADMAX2 wrote:CONGRATS!! Yer patience and persistence paid off!! :D
X2 again Congrats :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congratulations
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Way to stick with it and keep hunting! Persistence paid off!

CONGRATS on the harvest!!!!

Enjoy using your smoker for your own deer! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ch312

Post by ch312 »

Many thanks everyone. It's likely the smallest deer that I've shot, but I've never had to work so hard for a deer before and there is no way I was passing on what could have been my only opportunity of the season. I measure a trophy by the difficulty in harvesting the animal, not how big it's antlers are.

I think next year I'll make it a bit easier on myself and "cheat" using my new slug gun, which I didn't get to use because I forgot to apply for the controlled hunt. Nothing beats buying a new gun and not being able to use it. :roll: :D

Lake shooter, the blood trail was like that for 100 yards, which I think was great considering where I hit the animal and there was zero up/down angle like with most tree stand shots. I was level with the deer so the arrow passed straight through rather than the exit hole being much lower than the entrance. This type of shot often results in good blood which tapers off due to the body cavity filling because both holes are at the same level and high in the body. I was surprised by how little blood there was in the body cavity.

I'd love to see what the trail looks like with the same broad head going through the heart shot from a tree stand...
ch312

Post by ch312 »

VixChix wrote:Way to stick with it and keep hunting! Persistence paid off!

CONGRATS on the harvest!!!!

Enjoy using your smoker for your own deer! :D

You bet I'll be making some jerky in the smoker. I was worried I'd have to settle for beef:D
Bowshott

Post by Bowshott »

Thats a good day right there! A deer and a million bucks!
'12 Excal Vortex
2219 XX75 Magnums
125 Slicktricks