3rd rut is winding down in our area > Randy S. scores !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

3rd rut is winding down in our area > Randy S. scores !

Post by R.J. »

Well it has been an exciting week !

Many does have moved onto my property and with them came the bucks at the tail end of the last rut !

I've been sitting out in blinds getting a few pictures and listening to the different vocalizations as bucks chase and breed yearlings and late dropped doe fawns ...

I got some a few cool frames during a snowfall of a 20 yard buck with a hot doe … he chased her everywhere !

Christmas day my wife , daughter and I saw a Monster buck chasing does in the field mid day … so I called a few friends and told them the 3rd rut was in progress and to plan some hunts .

Well to make a long story short my long time hunting partner Randy S and his son Rob stopped by last night and had some crazy action !

Rob had approx 25 deer in and around his stand location and was in sight of the stand his dad was in when Randy let the air out of the Monster !

Excalibur Equinox , Custom Boo String , Firebolt carbon with a 150 gr Bolt Cutter Broaddhead … 20 yards , perfect double lung , in ran approx 30 yards and expired within site of the stand .

I was watching the action thru binocular's and was just about to text Randy telling him there was a high rack 8 point coming towards him , when he passed an arrow thru this one ! He had 5 other smaller bucks and multiple does pass and kept his nerve long enough to get the scope on this Monster !

Now I say Monster , because in our area this is a Big Rack Buck ! …

Congrat's Randy … a once in a lifetime buck for our area !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
WalknTall

Re: 3rd rut is winding down in our area > Randy S. scores !

Post by WalknTall »

Congrats Randy! What a Monster!!!
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
munch

Post by munch »

enjoyed the pics rick. thats a heavy buck. i sat out today but seems like the deer are only moving at night here
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Normous

Post by Normous »

The huge smile says it ALL, Nice Buck For Sure!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Alahunter

Post by Alahunter »

That is definitely a monster. Here in Alabama the mature bucks never have that heavy mass. They get that tall and wide though
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Wow!! What a brute! Congrats!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Congrats on the monster buck :D
huntman

Post by huntman »

WOW what a monster!!!! Congrats.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Very nice indeed good job.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Dude, many Kudos, that is a monster buck anywhere!!!!!! :shock:

On the third rut thingy, when was the first?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

Lake Shooter wrote :
On the third rut thingy, when was the first?
It varies from area to area ... Our 1st rut was last week of October into the 1st week of November .

I wrote a basic whitetail behaviour section on a past thread based on info I picked up at a seminar from about 25 years ago ... I also believe in the moon phase > these last few days have been poor moon phase so the deer seem to be moving late ... but throw a doe in estrus into the mix and the bucks go nuts > get a group of bucks chasing on a property and evrything keeps moving !

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... rd#p477583

Bottom line > I believe the best way to success is get out in the field / get out in the field / get out in the field ... That way when an opportunity does arise , you are there to seal the deal !

I had a real slow year to start , but I still got out as much as possible .

I'm scouting / taking mental notes / learning every day ... Driving to work , driving to Christmas and family events , talking to local farmers and neighbors at the store , talking to other hunters at work / reading Excalibur Forum posts > getting info on what deer activity is from farm to farm in our area and other areas , then comparing notes and observations ...

Ask Wylie H . > :lol: I bet I called him three times today with updates ( he and Bobby S. are planning to stop by on Tuesday so I keep him in the loop of what cureent activity is )... all in our group are the same ... the phone keeps ringing with someone saying I saw this today / I saw that today ... It's a fever of this hobby , I'm sure many of you are same ...

Also for example the deer only started showing up on my farm over the past few weeks > first doe and two fawns , then couple more does > then couple bucks > then Monster buck ( we 1st saw him on Christmas day ) ... I think some deer were pressure here from other properties after three weeks of shotgun / muzzleloader season in my area ( We don't gun hunt my place ) .

I guess I could put out trail cameras to get a more accurate count , but I still like the old fashion track and see route .

And I watch the turkeys as well ... today and about every day since Christmas a lone hen turkey walks across my back field around lunch time > it is odd to see a lone turkey > usually I have a flock on the property ( yarded up like the deer ) > but this year the main flock is at a farm at the far North West of my road ( huge flock ) ... this lone hen must have got seperated from the flock at some point > I'm guessing as the winter progresses , she will hear them on a clear calm day and work her way North / West ? Or maybe the flock will work it way to my farm ?

Anyway ... it's late and I'm rambling on .

Good Luck to all that are chasing whitetails over the last days of the season ! Have fun ? Safe Hunt and take lots of pictures !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great buck!! congrats to the shooter
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
korey99

Post by korey99 »

Nice heavy rack. Beauty buck to say the least. Congrats!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Congrats!! We also have had as many as 25 deer in our field and one of the guy's shot a nice 10 pt Friday night that was harassing/chasing a group of fawns.
The best things in life are not things!!
jackhunter1974

Post by jackhunter1974 »

WOW! Nice Ontario monster. Congrats! How have you been doing with jack rabbit?? I saw a couple of your posts in regards to jacks. I am a big fan of jack hunting, but the jacks are sporadic in our area.