Equinox arrow speed help... please??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SixLomaz

Re: Equinox arrow speed help... please??

Post by SixLomaz »

Here is an idea for those who do not have a chronograph but use a scope with internal distance markers. Sight it in at 20 yards and then use the scope magnification adjustment ring until you hit bulls eye at 50 yards. Your crossbow should now be hitting bulls eye at 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 yards using the scope reticle markers if your scope has any markers. On a Tact Zone scope you will see more or less the speed of your bolts on the magnification ring.
QLOPS - Qualified Licensed Official Pot Stirrer

"Hunting with Id10ts can and will kill you." This is the reason I prefer to hunt alone.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

More or less is right. The trajectory of an arrow highly depends on the weight of the arrow, the weight of the string, size of vanes, wind direction and even the brace height setting. Using a chron is the only accurate way to determine arrow speed - even that has a 10% margin of error - if you just HAVETA know.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

SixLomaz wrote:Here is an idea for those who do not have a chronograph but use a scope with internal distance markers. Sight it in at 20 yards and then use the scope magnification adjustment ring until you hit bulls eye at 50 yards. Your crossbow should now be hitting bulls eye at 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 yards using the scope reticle markers if your scope has any markers. On a Tact Zone scope you will see more or less the speed of your bolts on the magnification ring.
I agree w/ Cossack on this one. Get a chrony if you're into it that deep, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

SixLomaz wrote:Here is an idea for those who do not have a chronograph but use a scope with internal distance markers. Sight it in at 20 yards and then use the scope magnification adjustment ring until you hit bulls eye at 50 yards. Your crossbow should now be hitting bulls eye at 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 yards using the scope reticle markers if your scope has any markers. On a Tact Zone scope you will see more or less the speed of your bolts on the magnification ring.

This is how I set up my Equinox also.
Nothing further I can add that maybe of interest .
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

Everyone who is worrying about me and my exact speed , if you would all go read my post it was all to COMPARE the 380 to the Equinox thats all. Its my hobbie, enjoy fooling with that stuff.. just like a motor head would keep fooling with a car to see if he can go just .567 seconds faster. :roll: thats why i want to know down to the decimal. you do not have to respond to the post if it do'nt matter to you.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

thats why i want to know down to the decimal. you do not have to respond to the post if it do'nt matter to you.
A good chrony won't tell you 'down to the decimal'. Some of us spend a lot of time on here trying to convince guys/gals not to use the speed settings on the speed rings as chronys. :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
massbow

Post by massbow »

the ring on my tach zone is set at 310 to make things work allways seem alittle iow to me
Team 355
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

bowhunter1 wrote:Everyone who is worrying about me and my exact speed , if you would all go read my post it was all to COMPARE the 380 to the Equinox thats all. Its my hobbie, enjoy fooling with that stuff.. just like a motor head would keep fooling with a car to see if he can go just .567 seconds faster. :roll: thats why i want to know down to the decimal. you do not have to respond to the post if it do'nt matter to you.
Any bow you buy you can basicly take off 20-25 FPS and get a fairly close reading to what you would have with a 400 grain arrow. A string can pick you up six or seven FPS, another 6 or 7 going down in arrow weight. To answer your question is you would pickup 30FPS with a 380 but you would not be shooting 380. As stated most are switching to Matrix because of the smaller size difference of the bow its self and not because of speed. Hope this helps.
bowhunter1

Post by bowhunter1 »

yep all the info i can get helps out a great deal, thank you.. as i have found out the performance difference between the 380 and the Equinox is soo minimal its not worth the 1k plus to get her all set up to (ME) only.. the size difference is nice but i have learned how to maneuver my Equinox in the woods and in my stand and that do'nt bother me. But 1 thing i am really looking forward to is to see the holes the 125gr slick trick mag and the 125 gr grizztrick 2 can deliver this up coming season :twisted: I am holding approx. a 3" group at 50 yds standing free hand and thats kil'n deer all day long! Thank you guys for ALL the information. :D