How do you find your arrow after the shot?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SixLomaz

How do you find your arrow after the shot?

Post by SixLomaz »

I am talking after taking a shot at 20 - 30 yards range, from the ground, on a leaf saturated soft dirt layer. I raked the area with my feet and could not find the arrow even though I memorized the trajectory and followed the landmarks I set. It probably buried itself under about 2-3 inches. I was thinking to use a metal detector but maybe there are other more cost effective methods. I do not use lighted nocks and frankly I do not think they will help in this case since the arrow is entirely covered by dirt and leaves. :x
QLOPS - Qualified Licensed Official Pot Stirrer

"Hunting with Id10ts can and will kill you." This is the reason I prefer to hunt alone.
one shot scott

Re: How do you find your arrow after the shot?

Post by one shot scott »

I think a rake or metal detector is the only thing thats gonna help ya when you suspect its buried that deep.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I lost one. Misjudged the distance to my target when shooting at 50yrds, well thought it was 50, when measured, it was closer to 40. Shot went right across the top of my target. Couldn't find the arrow anywhere, figured it had buried itself, or went into the woods right behind where I was shooting. Was cutting the grass a few days, maybe a week later, and found the arrow. Luckly I didn't hit it with the mower, but was really surprised at how close it was behind the target. Thought it had gone much further than it did, and I was looking way to far behind the target. Didn't bury in the ground, at least not the fletching, was just under a few leaves, and the grass. Good luck, and if you know someone with a metal detector, it would help......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

My short experience with these puppies leads me to think that bolt loss will be much higher than with a vertical bow. I have one shot at a deer, one dead deer and one expensive bolt/BH gone, and this was from a tree stand of about 12' up and an 18-20 yard shot! :oops:

As another said, lighted nocks are moot when buried under leaves or dirt! :roll:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I look for a (lighted) blood-smeared shaft just beyond where the deer had stood. :-)
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

I look for the blinking red light..... (Lumenok)...they are awesome. Look into them for the future
NRA Life Member
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Lake shooter wrote:My short experience with these puppies leads me to think that bolt loss will be much higher than with a vertical bow. I have one shot at a deer, one dead deer and one expensive bolt/BH gone, and this was from a tree stand of about 12' up and an 18-20 yard shot! :oops:

As another said, lighted nocks are moot when buried under leaves or dirt! :roll:
But with an illuminated nocks, if you go out at dark, you would have a good chance of finding it. With mine, it wasn't an illuminated nock, but if it had, I am pretty sure I would have found it in the dark.......RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

well...nothing is guaranteed, but those Lumenoks greatly improve your chances of finding them...and they aren't hard to install...just takes a little patients
NRA Life Member
massbow

Post by massbow »

And fun as hell to watch goin thru your deer! :D
Team 355
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Roadrunnr72 wrote:
Lake shooter wrote:My short experience with these puppies leads me to think that bolt loss will be much higher than with a vertical bow. I have one shot at a deer, one dead deer and one expensive bolt/BH gone, and this was from a tree stand of about 12' up and an 18-20 yard shot! :oops:

But with an illuminated nocks, if you go out at dark, you would have a good chance of finding it. With mine, it wasn't an illuminated nock, but if it had, I am pretty sure I would have found it in the dark.......RR
Certainly, not arguing that point. Where I hunt (military base) we have to sign in and out, and sign out time is 90 minutes after legal sunset, no exceptions they say. If one is trailing a deer and then taking care of it they will sometimes be more flexible after a phone call, but looking for equipment doesn't fall into that category. Just saying. :wink:
SixLomaz

Post by SixLomaz »

Well, I broke down and purchased a Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector for $99 on sale. I figured it will pay for itself given that a carbon arrow is $6 to $10 plus the broadhead another $10+ for a total of $16 to $20. I also plan to use it at the beach and in the park maybe I get lucky and find some lost gold / silver jewelery. It will be fun for the entire family.
QLOPS - Qualified Licensed Official Pot Stirrer

"Hunting with Id10ts can and will kill you." This is the reason I prefer to hunt alone.
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Lake shooter wrote:
Roadrunnr72 wrote:

Certainly, not arguing that point. Where I hunt (military base) we have to sign in and out, and sign out time is 90 minutes after legal sunset, no exceptions they say. If one is trailing a deer and then taking care of it they will sometimes be more flexible after a phone call, but looking for equipment doesn't fall into that category. Just saying. :wink:
Same here, most of my hunting is on a military base, and a time limit to check out. Most of my hunting is from a tree stand, with a complete pass through, the arrow will be stuck in the ground, just past the deer. :lol:
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

Even when under leaves or grass, the illumination of the lighted knocks will sometimes cause a glowing or reflection that can be seen.
Bones

Post by Bones »

I've lost a few that while playing at extended ranges and trying multiple different combination's each year , that tick's me off when one decide's to snake under the sod and gone. But in hunting situation if I shoot and get the animal I could care less where the arrow ended up? As I just harvested more than the $15 ,,,in meat. If I do find it I figure that's a bonus. But for those mid summer misses I think a metal detector would be cool.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I too bought a $99 Bounty Hunter. I found all of my missing arrows (although two were found because the metal detector told me where they weren't. I expanded my search area and found them above ground).

A lot of fun on the beach and for general hunting around your yard. In addition to my arrows, I found two rusty nails, an old soda can, an unidentifiable round metal thingy, and two bullets.