Tree Stand advise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Newbi

Tree Stand advise

Post by Newbi »

I must plead total ignorance when it comes to tree stands. I have done all of my hunting in the Rockies up till now. There it is almost exclusively spot and stalk, all on the ground. I have never been in a tree stand and must admit that I have a fear of getting up in a tree. That said, I am now living in an area where hunting from tree stands is the most used method and with good reason. This area is so heavily forested and thick under growth that it is really the only way to see any distance. Very little open land except in populated areas. Ridges and bluffs lots of limestone rock. This is the Ozarks of northern Arkansas.
What is the best type of tree stand for a beginner? Climber or loc on? I have a fear of them slipping or rocking. Also since I will be hunting mostly on public land I will probably have to put it up and take it down to keep it safe. A ladder is really out of the question. I am just looking for some advise as I have only a couple of months to decide, or try it from the ground and hope for the best. I was out checking some areas the other evening and did get a look at a doe and a small buck. The doe was in range and just stood and looked at me, about 40 yards. What a pleasure! Saw another nice buck the next morning in the same area. Antlers about half grown out.
I guess that I am just looking for some assurance that they really are safe. I see people on tv using them all the time, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to think about climbing up into a tree and sitting there like a bird. My feet don't fit a limb too well. :lol:
striper

Post by striper »

Newbi: I would recommend the climber. I use a Summit Viper. The stand is light, quiet and strong. It comes with a Safety harness and has a rail that is just right for a support for your arm and bow while waiting for a shot. Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

Newbi
i to would think any of the name brand climbers would serve you well for those that are uncomfortable in a tree most climbers offer a support bar that surronds you ,this will also serve as a rest to shoot your crossbow ,i have hunted out of all kinds of stands but my choice is the timber tall brute, it weighs 14 lb. and has a 300 lb. wt. limit.it also has a leveling system to level your stand after you are up the tree.
(wear a safety harness ALWAYS )
Bob
wabi - nli

Post by wabi - nli »

I use a Summit (bushmaster? I think) I bought 2nd hand, and was very unsure of how I would like a climber. I was suprised at how easy it is to use & how stable it is. I huntmostly from my ladder stand, but the Summit is great to have for those time I'd like to have a look at a new location.
I'd have to say if you buy a good quality brand name climber you will probably soon learn to like it!
BTW - at first practice climbing with someone else standing by to help if you need it, and start slow & low :lol:
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to do some research on stands. I appreciate the advise from all of you. Will have to work on my own "high anxiety" problems.