cocking ropes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ldock

cocking ropes

Post by ldock »

Which is the proper way to put your cocking rope on. Do the open part of the hooks go up or do they go down. I always use mine with the open part down and got to wondering after reading another crossbow manufacturer recommends they be up on there's. I have never had a problem the way I have it just wondering which is correct on my excal's. Thanks Larry
wheelie

Re: cocking ropes

Post by wheelie »

I put the open ends up. But most seem to put the opening down, Crankerroo's come with hooks opening in hook going down. As long as the sting goes back on the rail (rope on cocker protects the rail the whole distance) so it doesn't gouge the barrel when you pull it back.

But I am always the odd ball anyways. :wink:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My hooks have openin faced up, thats the way i like cock my Excals
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I recall the instructional video that accompanied my bow showed open end down but then another forum member suggested that I do open end up so that I can actually see the string engage. I've done it open end up ever since.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've never considered it because I automatically have the open end of the hook facing up (towards the direction the rope is being pulled). I don't understand how you can have the hooks facing down???
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
strum

Post by strum »

i did it with the open ends down for the first 3 years then one day I thought I would try the other way and now that's how I do it.i cant see that I matters much except when decocking I feel I get better hook contact with the open ends up .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

paulaboutform wrote:I've never considered it because I automatically have the open end of the hook facing up (towards the direction the rope is being pulled). I don't understand how you can have the hooks facing down???
X 10! To me at least, one way is logical and the other not!
the elf

Post by the elf »

With the open end of the hooks facing up------
and being in a hurry---
There is always the possibility that the string will go--
over top of arrow retainer.

Don't ask me how I know. :oops: :oops:
strum

Post by strum »

Lake shooter wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I've never considered it because I automatically have the open end of the hook facing up (towards the direction the rope is being pulled). I don't understand how you can have the hooks facing down???
X 10! To me at least, one way is logical and the other not!
Bill T shows to use the open ends down.
this where I learned how and it works fine. logical?..hmmm
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/conten ... nal_videos
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Yes, logical. I do it exactly as shown in the video, but it's just common sense video or not. Maybe the reference of "open end acing up or down" means different things to some of us, just as in patriot! I was referring to the fact that the hook faces up, and there is only one opening, so? :wink:

I think the problem is in the asking of the original question, as the more accurate question would have been "with the hook facing up or down". As there is really only one direction where the hooks will actually "hook" and contain the string to be drawn, this whole exercise seems a little academic to me. 8)
roly

Post by roly »

I always went hooks down, then someone who
works for Excal told me that by going hooks up as you draw back the hooks tend to hug the rail more
giving you a bit more of an even pull.

Felt awkward at first but now I like it, works for me
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wid the hook openin up less chane of hook jumpin the rail
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

roly wrote:I always went hooks down, then someone who
works for Excal told me that by going hooks up as you draw back the hooks tend to hug the rail more
giving you a bit more of an even pull.

Felt awkward at first but now I like it, works for me
I think I see what's going on here: y'all seem to be talking about the hooks down or up in relation to the rail and/or scope being down or up, no? Problem is, when I'm cocking my 380 it's basically vertical!!!! :D Me not being short and the Matrix line being shorter than the vast majority of the Excalibur crossbows out there means that my bow is fairly straight up at cocking. Sorry for the confusion on my part. :wink:

I have been cocking mine with the hooks facing towards the scope, which I gather would be "up". Never had a single issue, period, and doubt I ever will. Either way, the geometry and the load on where the rope cocking aid passes over the back (top) of the rail (under the safety) is the same, at least it seems that way to me.
Dash

Post by Dash »

vixenmaster wrote:Wid the hook openin up less chane of hook jumpin the rail
X2
Especially when using the stringer I use hooks up. Slid over the rail once and gouged the realtree skin on the equinox.........Battlescar :roll:
The extra diameter of the protector tube makes this more likely if youré not careful as it moves the string slightly away from the rail.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Down and dirty like your old aunt Gerty. Sorry, played too much cards lately :lol:
Hooks down since day one.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott