making arrows ?'s

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

making arrows ?'s

Post by Deaf jeff »

hello all,
I am attempting to make some arrows for the first time, its all new to me. I have only done 2 arrows. I am using Arizona ez fletch. using blazer vanes,bea shafts with the plastic flat nocks.i already have a couple of questions and turning to the members of this forum will chime in and help me out like the many other times that I needed help. should I have the nock in the shaft before I place the shaft in the ez fletch or after I fletch or does't it matter? is there a good rule of thumb that helps determine if I have applied to little or to much glue? I wont be shooting until spring to see if the vanes stay stuck. thanks for any help
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Masboy

Re: making arrows ?'s

Post by Masboy »

I leave the nock in an also put a uni- nock out of an old arrow in the fletcher before fletching because I like my vanes to set closer to the nock . the less glue the better as long as it,s all covered an I run a q tip down mine to lightly coat an take off an excess glue . makes a better bond an much nicer job.
an if you have problems with fletching spacing not the same between the fletchings twist the cap you slide down over the top to one side after sliding it down an that will help.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Deaf jeff wrote:hello all,
I am attempting to make some arrows for the first time, its all new to me. I have only done 2 arrows. I am using Arizona ez fletch. using blazer vanes,bea shafts with the plastic flat nocks.i already have a couple of questions and turning to the members of this forum will chime in and help me out like the many other times that I needed help. should I have the nock in the shaft before I place the shaft in the ez fletch or after I fletch or does't it matter? is there a good rule of thumb that helps determine if I have applied to little or to much glue? I wont be shooting until spring to see if the vanes stay stuck. thanks for any help
If the Arizona EZ fletch is all glued together, you got too much glue on it. If the vanes fall off you didnt get enough glue on them. :lol: :lol: This is the "voice of experience" talking by the way. X2 on the Q-tip as a way to ensure full coverage but not have LOTS of glue mess.Have fun and let us see your results.And you can grab those vanes and try to pull 'em off to see if they are on good.
Yarak

Post by Yarak »

The less glue the better, but it needs to be GOOD glue (Gorilla blue top).
The vanes will not come off my arrows,unless they are shot off or scraped off . I have made plenty of messes using inferior glue. Go light set tight.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Something Boo told me was to give the vanes a swipe with a q-tip dipped in acetone before applying the glue. This insures its clean and free of any kind of residue , I did it and my vanes are rock solid.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
diesel

Post by diesel »

Go to Hobby Lobby and get some glue tips. It will help you control the amount of glue you put on each vane. You will have to trim it a bit to fit the tip. Gorilla Blue top works very well . The best I have found it what Dorge sells at Aerovane and than Jerry has his at South Shore archery both set up much faster. I also agree wit cleaning the vanes with acetone. Dose not matter if you fletch with the nock in or out just do them all the same.