Help with first crossbow - Ibex vs. Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SKILCZ

Help with first crossbow - Ibex vs. Matrix

Post by SKILCZ »

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my first crossbow, and I've narrowed it down to Excalibur. The largest game it will take is white tail deer. Is the Ibex enough? Or do I need extra velocity?

I like the compact size of the Matrix series, but the issue (besides cost difference) is my wife & kids may also use this and I'm not sure they can handle the draw weight. We're new to crossbows. I guess I'm down to Ibex vs. Matrix (not sure which variant). Huge difference in price, and with the quality and reliability of Excalibur, I'm sure both will outlast me. The draw weight (and cost) leans me toward Ibex for wife & kids. The size & velocity lean me toward Matrix. I think if I knew for sure they could handle the draw weight, I might go with a Matrix, but the practical/frugal side of me thinks an Ibex will probably do all we need it to do and be easier for the family to use.

If you think I should go Matrix, which model? I would think 330 given the lesser draw weight while still maintaining the compact size. But I don't know all the differences between 330, 355, and 380. Or should I stick with the tried and true Ibex that will probably do all we need it to (with a little more bulk)?

Thoughts? Sorry for the novice questions.

Thanks in advance!
georgiaboy

Re: Help with first crossbow - Ibex vs. Matrix

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!! :D :D
The best advice i can give you is handle them both & let it pick you!!! :mrgreen:
I can't speak to the Matrix...never shot one, but i killed many a deer and a few hogs with my Ibex. It will be all the bow you will ever need if you choose it. It's a win either way!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome!!! I'm still quite new as well but I think you'll find a wealth of knowledge here and most are more than happy to answer questions and help out. I haven't shot an ibex but I know MANY love them. I love my matrix but wouldn't hesitate to get an ibex if it came along at the right price. Wish I could be more helpful. Let us know what you end up getting...and if trying both out is an option I strongly suggest doing so.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Matrix all the way. Try them both out & I am sure you wil lean toward the Matrix.

The 330 will be an amazing bow to shoot & it would be my first choice if I didn't already have the 355...

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
MC45

Post by MC45 »

I just got an ibex for Christmas and am very happy. I am sure that I would have gone with a Matrix if funds would have been available but I didn't even look at them. I am completely satisfied with the ibex and don't even worry about not getting the matrix now. I asked Danny Miller if I should learn the ibex and then swap up to a Matrix in a year or so and his words were "partner I wouldn't hesitate to take an ibex on a hunt for any animal." Very reassuring words.
Waif

Post by Waif »

Welcome!
Don,t be sorry. No one was born knowing Excalibur cross bows,well maybe a couple people were, but they would not mind questions. :)
Getting your hands on samples and cocking /uncocking,shooting different models if possible will go far to answer questions more personally than our opinions. We tend to like them all. When you get comparing ,price is just a step to next model and a lot of it gets to be personal preference. The Ibex for deer no problem at reasonable range of most cross bows. Matrix would have me smiling long after shooting it but I,ll get by without one,for now,somehow.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Welcome Skilcz.....I like you am new to Excal and to the forum....I probably cannot add too much and will defer to the group of PhD professors that roam the halls of this forum...each espousing their years of "in the field" experience and knowledge... with an untiring willingness to teach the incoming freshman exhibiting a passion and desire to learn!

With that said, I purchased a Matrix 380 and so far have absolutely loved it!

Good luck with your homework on selecting the right fit!....Hopefully soon we will meet in the study hall!

All the best,

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
one eye joe

Post by one eye joe »

I also am new. I bought an Ibex and enjoy it a lot. It is easy enough for me to cock, but my wife is not able to get the string all the way back. If that is the case for you, then the Matrix (I would love a 330 or 355) wouldn't be any different than an Ibex, as you would need to load it for them either way. If you can find a store that carries an Ibex, you might see if your wife can handle it.
Ibex (The Terrible)
Dan's (xcalibur) strings
DCA arrows
Swacker broadheads
lovelight

Post by lovelight »

I had the same choice to make and handled both. The compactness on the 355 is noticeable but the Ibex is certainly manageable and is more than enough for deer. My son is 5' 5" at 12 years old and my wife is 5' 2" <age omitted to preserve marital tranquility>. They can both shoot the 355 very comfortably. The Ibex was only slightly big on my son but within a few months of him being able to shoot it offhand. My wife would really need a rest or tripod with the Ibex. The reality is that in our hunting or target shooting situation, both would be shooting from a supported position so either would work. We landed on the 355 mainly because it was a bit more comfortable to shoot for them.

You can't go wrong with either. If cost is high on the list of priorities, the Ibex is a great choice. If you go with the Matrix, you may want to look into the ADF if you are new to crossbows. Danny Miller knows these crossbows as well as anyone and is great to work with. It's worth giving him a call to discuss your needs and see what he can do for you. (740) 483-2312 You won't find anyone who will treat you more fairly.
chrisbp

Post by chrisbp »

Not so familiar with Ibex, but test a few Matrixs, and wrote a few words about them before. Hope that would help.

Here is the link >> http://goo.gl/K901tj
Excalibur is the best recurve crossbow I ever tested.
Thanks for mentioning my blog on Excalibur's Facebook Page the other day. And hope I could add some value here to the community. :)
massbow

Post by massbow »

Matrix all the way! :D
Team 355
Dash

Post by Dash »

I have an Ibex and 380 matrix. Both good bows.
Ibex you can shoot all day, and this is my competition bow as its way easier to cock 120 times for a comp and still aim steady for a competition. Dry fired it, and have put literally thousands of shots through it, but it still shoots as good as a few years ago when I bought it.
The 380 I bought more for the compact size of it, to use as a hunting bow. Its a well balanced bow.The high poundage is a bit of an overkill for me, as it usually means I get less arrows back when hunting, and way less when I target practice due to high poundage and shorter arrows getting lost in targets :lol:
Both very good bows, so its a personal choice you need to make. The 330 sounds like a good choice, if you lean towards the matrix. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy.
pinshooter

Post by pinshooter »

The Ibex will kill any deer you will encounter however I would get the matrix 330 if thats in your budget. Don't be fooled by the poundage on the bow. Your wife and kids will cock it easier than the Ibex due to its short power stroke.
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I truly think you need both. One for hunting and one for target. Get the wife used to it. When you get a room full wife just laughs when they see another come through the door. :lol:
SKILCZ

Post by SKILCZ »

Thank you all for the thoughtful and informative replies. I suppose I should narrow it down to one Matrix and then decide on that vs. the Ibex. Given that the 380 may be "overkill," what are the differences between the 355 and the 330? It seems like the 330 is the happy medium between the Ibex and the Matrix 380.

I went into a Bass Pro Shops and held the Ibex and the Matrix 380 a while back (I don't think they had a 330 there, but I don't recall). I was going in to decide between Axiom and Ibex at the time, decided I liked the thumb hole stock better, and had decided on Ibex. Then for some reason I picked up the Matrix 380 to see what the major differences were. I liked the size and weight better, but I was OK with the Ibex, too.

Is there a down side to moving to 18" arrows over 20" arrows? I'm going to try to find some place around here where I can try out both. I guess I could always get a crank for the wife & kids. Any thoughts on the crank?