NEW HUNTER WITH QUESTION

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

KNIGHTS OF NI

NEW HUNTER WITH QUESTION

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

HELLO TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM!!
I HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS ON HERE FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND FINALLY DECIDED TO REGISTER.
I STARTED DEER HUNTING LAST YEAR WITH A DARTON COMPOUND BOW WITH NO SUCCESS. SO IN THE SPRING THIS YEAR I FINALLY GOT MY EXCOCET!
THE PROBLEM IS I ONLY HAVE ABOUT 20 ACRES TO HUNT ON, WITH NO FOOD SOURCE. THEY BED THERE, AND PASS THROUGH THERE, BUT WITH NO REAL PATTERN.
I WONDERED WHAT WOULD BE A WAY OF KEEPING THEM THERE MORE CONSISTANTLY? A FEEDER? SEED? MINERAL SALT?
I CAN DO WHAT I WANT,(DIG UP, PLANT ETC) BUT I CAN'T GO TO THE PROPERTY TOO OFTEN, DON'T WANT TO BOTHER THE OWNERS, AS I HAVE TO GO PAST THEIR HOUSE TO GET TO THE PROPERTY EVERY TIME!
IDEALLY I WOULD LIKE TO GET A BIGGER PROPERTY NEARBY, BUT UNTIL I DO I AM GRATEFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
KNIGHTS OF NI
PUSLINCH ONTARIO
Don

Post by Don »

Welcome aboard Knights of NI.
I also was hunting on a small parcel of land that deer did pass through but did not stay regularly.
Here is what I did, I would buy a bag of loose corn from my feed mill, here in Ontario that is Country Depot used to be CO-OP for about eleven dollars and got some molasses from the bulk food store a good gallon container is about 2 dollars.
Put down a pile or two of corn about 2-3 inches deep about half a bag in each spot, pour the molasses on the top of the corn this slows down the amount that can be eaten at once. You can throw on a few apples cut in half two this throws of a good aroma and will draw deer from there normal path by 25-50 yards. You will have to check this fairly regularly though probably once a week or so.
A cheap feeder would be a good investment maybe.

Take a decoy with you when you go out to hunt and place in just over from where you are going to sit but within about twenty yards.

This will draw them to you and the food pile as well. Take the decoy with you when you leave.

Good luck,
Don :lol:
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNIGHTS OF NI

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

THANK'S DON AND LONE WOLF FOR YOUR ADVICE.
I WILL PROBABLY PUT DOWN CORN, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE MOLASSES. I PUT CORN DOWN LAST YEAR AND IT WAS GONE QUICKER THAN I COULD CARRY THE FEED BAGS! HOPEFULLY THE MOLASSES WILL SLOW THAT DOWN.
HOPEFULLY NEXT YEAR I WILL HAVE TIME TO DO THE BISHOP SEED IDEA.
BADENOCK ARCHERY NEAR WHERE I LIVE WILL DO THE WHOLE THING FOR YOU.
TILLING AND PLANTING ETC, KIND OF EXPENSIVE THOUGH :shock:
THANK'S AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLIES I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!
KNIGHTS OF NI
(PS BIG MONTY PYTHON FAN)
rwk

?

Post by rwk »

Knights of ni if you can get some rock salt (5 gal.) dig up a spot about 3-4 ft. long about 12-14 in. deep spread the salt in the hole and if you can soak down well with water, then cover litely with some of the ground ,then cover with the corn and mollases. Give it a little time and look out. Good Hunting Rich
PRB

Post by PRB »

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/info/planting/ Maybe this will help. Look under "Planting Dates", and click on "fall planting". Depending on how far north of the map you live, then you might have enough time to try something on a small scale, at a fairly reasonable price. These people have sample packs that are great. You pay for the shipping. Or just call and tell them your situation. Good Luck.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Stop

Post by Buck Stop »

bstout wrote:

During the rut the middle of the woods is a grand place to be but not for everyday normal archery hunting. You'll see more deer where the woods meets the corn or other agricultural plots or streams "edges or points" than you will smack dab in the middle of the woods.

Unless its peak rut in my opinion, the center of the property isn't the greatest place to see the largest number of deer.
Here's my take on this;

Going from my experiences of hunting during the peak rut is you will catch the bucks in or near the fields when they get careless and will go right into the fields in the middle of the afternoon to chase the hot does.

I too prefer the big woods strategie for the big boys and you're absolutely right about seeing more deer in the field edges, etc, BUT!, where I hunt the big deer (if that's what you're after) are long gone from them edges by the time first light comes up because it's too dark to be legal and too dark to see . That's why I choose to hunt the trails in between feeding and bedding in the deeper, dirtier woods as well. By the time the deer get to me it's light enough so that I can see the animals walk past my stands and be legal to take the shot.

You're right about not seeing as many deer in the big dirty woods as to the edges and points etc, but when you do see one in the deeper woods, it's usually a dandy!

Buck Stop
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

During the rut go where the does are. The mature bucks will be there too.

When they get that one thing on their mind they don't care if it is the middle of the day in the WalMart parking lot if a hot does is there they WILL be there.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Buck Stop

Post by Buck Stop »

Woody Williams wrote:During the rut go where the does are. The mature bucks will be there too.
That's about it!... Find the does and you'll find the bucks.