Coltons Big Weekend

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Coltons Big Weekend

Post by flightattendant100 »

This year was to be Coltons to year get the buck. We are in a "one buck county" so that would put dad to chasing does and thats ok.Well thank goodness our season is a long one.We have been out every weekend except one since the archery opener on Sept. 28th.We have hunted pretty hard, and have seen lots of does with itty bitty fawns, and lots of dink bucks. ( our county also has an antler point restriction and a minimum width restriction) I have seen exactly one legal deer prior to this weekend, and it didnt stick around long enough for "C" to get a shot. Saturday morning we had our normal crew of dink bucks in and then another deer showed. It is sure no monster, but is legal, and stuck around for a minute so that "C" could get a shot. Its "C"'s first multi-point buck and he is on cloud nine. He had texted everybody we know before we got out of the stand! Pictures taken and sent and replys back long before dad got it dressed.Image
He also is a big fan of the "Duck Dynasty" TV show and has been dying to get a duck. Duck season is still going on and we had tried for the past couple of weeks with no luck. "C" is soooo smal and doesnt like recoil at all, so we have been at the ducks with a .410. With the mandatory steel shot ( and the only size steel shot I could find in .410 was #6 )I have seen him pepper two or three ducks that never showed any indication of being hit. So last weekend he decided that he had enough and wanted to bring the 20Ga. this weekend. I got some steel shot(#2) for it and we went hunting. Didnt get a shot Saturday eve. but went at it at legal shooting time this morning.When we walked over the pond dam, there were a few ducks on it and they took off. Knowing that the stock on the shotgun is about 3" too long for him and knowing he has never shot at anything on the fly, I was STUNNED when he pulled the gun up, shot, and dropped a duck with the first shot.We were both pretty much amazed, but went to get the duck on the other side of the pond. As we got over there, I heard one flying and another duck came in and lit on the water. It saw us in an instant and took off. "C" raises the gun again, shoots and the second duck takes a nose dive!!!! Two for two!!! Man I can never shoot a shotgun around him again....I couldnt live it down.Image
They were teal, but he is sooooo proud and has no idea how impossible this was. :lol: It was a good weekend and a good end to a long season. Only about two and a half months till spring turkey, cant wait!
cspot

Re: Coltons Big Weekend

Post by cspot »

Congrats Colton!!! That is a weekend you will never forget.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can read the smile on your face and see Coltons happiness. When I see him it reminds me of my youth with similar hair, smile, camo and dead animals for table fare. Thanks!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Congrats for both! Nice buck an father an sons ,daughters hunts are the best an hunts we all will never forget! I have had many an still having them :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I was thinking the same thing Norm . You can just tell by how Dad is describing everything he probably still has smile from ear to ear . :)
Colton congratulations on providing the meat for your family . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Boo

Post by Boo »

Paul, sounds like he's better than you and you're holding him back with a 410! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congratulations Colton! I hope to shake your hand during the 2nd week of Feb! You da Man! :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ldock

Post by ldock »

That's a story to make any dad happy and it will be permanently imprinted in his mind. Best confidence builder in the world. Congratulations to both!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Paul tell Colton congrats several times fer all his kills
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats to the young man! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

CONGRATS "C" !!!! :D :D
And you to Dad!! :D :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Waif

Post by Waif »

Congrats! great buck and killing of ducks!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Congrats!!!! Looks like a great time too me!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Reading that story made me smile for the young hunter-Congrats!!!!!!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Sounds to me like C's old man is bringing him up right. I see a taxidermy bill in the near future. Looks like it won't be long and Colton will need a duck boat too. Good thing he didn't go with me today. I never fired a shot. Hard to believe that we killed 2 limits in 30 minutes on the same lake last week. Looking forward to seeing you guys in the Lone Star state in a couple of months.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Wow what a great weekend for both of you. It looks like Colton is going to be a hard one to keep up with. That is the great thing about being young, you don't know you can't do something until someone tells you it's is impossible. Must be genetics as it Seems like he is a chip off the old block.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em