TREE STAND PLANS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I built two wooden portables based on bstout's design. I had all the wood lying around the house so I only had to buy the hardware and cable. They are a bit heavy because I didn't want to cheap out on the construction. It's a long fall from 20ft up :wink: . I agree with the other guys here, you can usually find them for less than you can build them. You might get a good deal from a supplier if you buy 6 or so all at once.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
speedball

Post by speedball »

Greywolf, i have in the past made some "crotch" style wooden stands that form fit into the "v" of a tree and you can put eye hooks on the ends to secure with rachet straps, i've made two of these for different set-up's and they work great you just need a portable seat to strap to one of the forks when you get up there, you can also build a seat out of wood, my brother has a cordless sawzall,circular saw combo and a little wood and some ingeniuos thinking and you got a great set-up,speedball........ :) :!:
gone huntin never to return................
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Remember that nails and wood actualy do not like being together.
Never use nails in any stands!
PT wood, esp wood treated with a copper treatment, causes galvanized spikes to rust and eventually rot out. A no no for stands, decks or fences.
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
speedball

Post by speedball »

So what do you use screws?, i hate using deck screws they break too easily, should we use just regular nails then not galvenized Mr.Dynamite :?: :?:
gone huntin never to return................
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

exactly ~use bolts my uncle works for the decking co i worked for in the summer, and ALL we used was screws or airnailers for some things. composite, pt or ceder, all we used was screws. we didnt use big bolts and nuts just because of how it would look. These were all high-up pricy decks, but they looked amasing
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Raven1962

Re: TREE STAND PLANS

Post by Raven1962 »

Howdy, y'all!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. No, I won't get into the debate over safety and homemade equipment... I would like the drawings and specs/parts list to the folding lock-on ladder design by mblaney, if someone would please PM or email them to me, I would be grateful! I would PM, or email him, but the info isn't showing, so he may have dropped out... According to the thread, there were plenty of requests for them...

Setting up a carpet back-stop for practice, to re-learn and hammer-in my archery (been 30 years, I usually hunt with a .50 cal Black-Powder Hawken). I have step-kids that want to go hunting, so I will be needing far more than stand designs...
Happy Hunting!

J.L. Frusha
Cedar Creek, Texas
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Not what you wanted but might be helpful to someone.
Raven1962

Post by Raven1962 »

Looks good! I might be able to trim the top of the diagonals and turn the bracket at the top of the ladder into a pivot point, to fold, like his. Thanks!
Happy Hunting!

J.L. Frusha
Cedar Creek, Texas
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Off Season:

In Season:

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Raven1962

Post by Raven1962 »

Y'all can send some of that on down our way. Been in the 70s this week, at least in early afternoon. Would have been nice to have a white Christmas and/or New Years Day... :wink:
Happy Hunting!

J.L. Frusha
Cedar Creek, Texas
munch

Post by munch »

here are a couple of mine
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I would consider putting up a few metal ladder stands. They will be cheap at the end of the season and since it's private land, you most likely don't have to worry about theft. As previously mentioned in this thread, you can buy a good ladder or hang-on cheaper than you can build a safe wooden stand.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Raven1962

Post by Raven1962 »

Companies are proud of their junk, around here. I'm in Central Texas, where even a deer lease would run too much, so I will have to travel about 6 hours, to my brothers' place. I trust my ability to build, I just prefer to find a good starting-place. Our stands will go up and come down, each trip. There IS a problem with poachers, up in East Texas. :evil:

Will also be building a tiny cabin, that will be secure for storing them in, while we're away. Cabin will be off-grid, so it'll be more self-sufficient than any weekender cabin that has access to power and water. Front deck and porch roof will hinge down and lock, to cover the door and windows. :wink:

As for using metal ladders, I was planning around that, with either folding, or extension ladders. Just not willing to buy, when I can build better, cheaper and to fit, rather than some generic one-size-fits-most junk that was made by the lowest bidder on the contract. :?
Happy Hunting!

J.L. Frusha
Cedar Creek, Texas
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

Wow this is an old thread! I cant even remember the last time I built a deck! Those were the days, go to work, come home and go in the bush. Good times.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I used to build my own, but like others mention I now use a ladder stand. Walmart online sells a two man Ameristep for only $99, or course thats in the US, but thankfully I live 40 min from the border :D
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone