String Leech Popped Out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gary in Ohio

String Leech Popped Out

Post by Gary in Ohio »

I was shooting my Horton Yukon SL last night. I'd put string leeches on a few days ago and had shot no more than a couple dozen shots since then. On my fourth shot of the night, one popped off and hit me in the eye. Luckily they're made of soft rubber and it did no damage. But it sure wasn't a pleasant event. I tied them in just as the instructions said. I did not find the leech aftward so I'm not sure if it split in half or came out whole. Anyway I wanted to pass along the word check these things often.

I'm going to try yarn puffs next. I've tried the things that look like 100 rubber bands (forgot the real name). They work great on my compound but on the crossbow they just got tangled up.

I need to do something because that Yukon is loud, easily 4 times as loud as my compound. And I've shot it from the hip a couple times to rule out that the sound was being conducted to my ear by the stock and it was still loud. My compound is mostly string twang but the Horton sounds mostly like its from the limbs. I have Limb Savers on it. The older round black type not the newer kind. They help but not that much.
darkhollowarcher

re

Post by darkhollowarcher »

Gary
I to have tried string leeches on my Exocet and it either cuts them in half or spits them off .and even when they are on i cant see that much difference in the sound level. the yarn balls help to make it quiter but do take away a lot of f.p.s. (18 fps). So i decided to keep it close and make my shot,and let the noise be what it is.For those of us that are used to shooting vert. bows it is hard to get used to the extra noise that a crossbow makes.
BOB
Gary in Ohio

Post by Gary in Ohio »

I'm thinking you're right. The leechs didn't help that much anyway.

I've try to get my arrow weight to be the Horton 415gr minimun then I add extra wieght to the string. Doesn't make sense.

Once nice thing about a 25 or 30 yard limit is arrow drop is less of a factor.