BH's fer This Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

BH's fer This Season

Post by vixenmaster »

I looked at the BH;s i am testin again this comin season. I have 3 types of SlickTricks, i have Toxic & Hellrazors, i have 4 swhackers left & Snuffers. I bet i have 20 BH's to shoot up before i can get back to my Spitfires. I always use one, :) killed thee 8 pt wid Spitfire! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Significent

Re: BH's fer This Season

Post by Significent »

Vixenmaster, I'm curious how you liked the Swhackers. Did they always open when you expected them to? How was the blood trail on the 8-point? Did you use the 100gr crossbow model or one of the vertical bow models. I considered buying the crossbow Spitfires but found a great price on the 15 crossbow Swhackers I bought. (The one I tested flew just like my field tips.) Why are you hoping to get back to your Spitfires? Are they the vertical bow Spitfires or the 175gr crossbow model.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Swhackers bad good great, jury is still out. I shot 2 Doe's wid'em. 1st was a pass-through but arrow came out about 8 yds from where the deer layed. The blades were not very sharp out of the pack. I sharpened all the other 5. 2nd one was not a pass-through shot Doe in neck droped her on the spot my video on youtube shows it. I have n used the 2" 100gr model. Yes they opened, blood trail from the spitfire killed 8 pt. Was a pass-through as the arrow/BH was several inches out the right side ribs. Blood trail was easy enuff to follow about 40yds or so. Swhackers need a heavy arrow or a faster model than i had when i shot the Doe's. Usin an arrow in the 350 to 400 area, you need more than that!
Half Bubble Off BD360

lkennard

Post by lkennard »

I used the Slick Trick 100gr magnum last year. I wasn't thrilled with the blood trail. Complete passthrough...blood was pretty thin to start with, then eventually (after about 50yds) started looking good.
However, I did recover the deer and still plan on using them.

I was wondering if there was an expandable that people loved for their crossbow?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Those that shoot from the ground & hit at or above the top of heart. Will have thin blood trail til you getstid close to the downed deer. I really like the Spitfires 100 & 125gr models, 1 1/2" cut
Half Bubble Off BD360

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I too rather like the Spitfire mechanicals in 125 grains. Did the job right well from my Matrix 380 this season.

But...

After reading a few positive reviews and seeing the Toxic Broadheads are now made in a 125 grain version, methinks I might have to give them a whirl. Be interesting to see how this head performs from the rather Speedy Matrix! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

IronNoggin wrote:I too rather like the Spitfire mechanicals in 125 grains. Did the job right well from my Matrix 380 this season.

But...

After reading a few positive reviews and seeing the Toxic Broadheads are now made in a 125 grain version, methinks I might have to give them a whirl. Be interesting to see how this head performs from the rather Speedy Matrix! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
I killed a seven pt wid a 100gr Toxic & Miss Vixen. Pass-through but only 1 1/2" of BH comin out shoulder. The blades remind me a razor wire one side bevel & its not razor sharp. Like the swhackers need fast fps 320 or more or at least a 425gr arrow or heavier! Jus my pt of view. They're accurate out of a model from250-310 fps. After that i have no idea!
Half Bubble Off BD360

paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I was shooting the toxics out of my exomax 225 with a 430 gr. Firebolts and it hit with the field points. I'll be shooting them out of my 380 and can't wait to see the results with my Big John custom zombies.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I guess I,ll stick with my slicktrick magnums,Magnus stingers but my one son lost all my 125 slicks this year shooting thru deer back in the thick stuff an I will have to buy more finally :lol: them Toxic sure look mean but I like to sharpen my own an have them razer sharp .
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Masboy wrote:I guess I,ll stick with my slicktrick magnums,Magnus stingers but my one son lost all my 125 slicks this year shooting thru deer back in the thick stuff an I will have to buy more finally :lol: them Toxic sure look mean but I like to sharpen my own an have them razer sharp .
I don't want to open a can of worms but honestly, the toxics are plenty sharp and if you put one where it's supposed to go you'll see a blood trail that will nocks your socks off! Give coring a try. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Used the Toxic this season, took 2 with it. Both were complete pass thru, went 35 & 50 yds. Both piled up within sight. Not much of a blood trail as both were high double lung shots. Gonna stick with 'em until I see a reason to change.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

G5 Striker - cross bow models worked great on my moose this fall and shoot great from my 380 out to 90 yrds. Have not had time to shoot beyond 90, but last 3 shot group I fired at 90yrds (off bench with Caldwell rest) placed all three arrows with Strikers on them in same bunch under 1" - cut two out of three shafts in half! Costly group but acuracy at that range is fantastic. Love my 380. I'm not advocating you shoot at game at such distances, it is just nice to know if I ever need to place a second arrow that it is doable if I do my part.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

After seeing a swhacker leave marks on the shafts of my firebolts, and in view of numerous complaints that they can actually break the shafts of crossbow bolts, I have retired my swhackers. Maybe the new "crossbow" models are better, but I will stick with my (banded) Rage 2-blades for now.....
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

Over time I have taken 26 deer with Rage broadheads they work wicked pissa for me and that's all I will use until they stop making them. Sight in with the blue practice heads which is all I use when practicing and the broadheads hit exactly the same spot. Like I said Wicked Pissa
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

The Chief wrote:Over time I have taken 26 deer with Rage broadheads they work wicked pissa for me and that's all I will use until they stop making them. Sight in with the blue practice heads which is all I use when practicing and the broadheads hit exactly the same spot. Like I said Wicked Pissa

Which Excal do you shoot?....I remember reading that with the faster xBows there is a problem with deployment and my experience this year (shooting the Barnett Quad 400) is that basically the blades twist and become unusable (that is unless you change the blades)...Both my boys shoot the Rages (my oldest with a Barnett and my younger with a Matthews compound), they love them but agree that the blades cannot be reused and deform and twist upon impact/penetration...I do like the practice broadhead and can attest to similar flight characteristics as the actual BH...all manufacturers should include a practice BH IMHO....

This year I plan on testing the Boltcutters, ExActs, Rages, Grim Reapers, Schwackers and the Toxics... before coming to a decision...

Anthony
Last edited by amythntr on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings