Amateur string builder questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

centerx

Amateur string builder questions

Post by centerx »

I have lots of experience with vertical bows. I have all the tools to work on them and make my own strings. As I am new to Xbows , and I like to tinker, that brings me to some questions around the strings on the Excalibur’s.

As I understand it all pre Matrix bows take the same limbs with the power stroke being the determining factor of draw weight. If I am correct then the next question is I assume string length is the same on every model as well?

Final question is all my string experience is on endless loops with primarily 452x material. Of course I understand that the materials with less stretch are the ones that offer a little more speed. However I normally see those same strings for the Excalibur’s in the Flemish style. Does the Flemish style offer better performance than the endless loops of the same material? If so anybody know why the Flemish style adds performance all other factors ( such as material) being equal??
ComfyBear

Re: Amateur string builder questions

Post by ComfyBear »

Yes Flemish twist on Crossbows outperform EL strings. The end loops are stronger (double the strands) and since they are not served, last longer.

Also see this post:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=52087
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Dash

Post by Dash »

I agree with Comfy bear. Before getting into string-making I thought that an endless loop string with serving around the loops to protect them would last longer.
But just by waxing the flemish loops, I have never broken a strand there on the loop. Where as the served loops of the endless loop string quite often do a strand around the loop as well as tend to separate there.
Boo

Post by Boo »

All else being equal endless loop strings are faster, have less creep and require less talent to make than Flemish strings.
Probably the key reason to use a Flemish string is because of all the twists that make up the loops and the twisted part of the string that leads to the loops act like a shock absorber.
Xcel and 452X will work well in either application softening the shot will make for a stable string.
Low string weight and low elasticity both contribute to arrow speeds.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Boo, The Master, has spoken. :D Personally I find making Flemish strings more fun and challenging. However they are stronger and quieter IMO. Generally speaking the lighter string will be faster, all else - such as brace height, arrow weight - being equal. Sting length is the same, as are the limbs for each model. It's the BARREL length that determines pull weight of Excals..
Last edited by Cossack on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

opps!
Some people just like stepping on rakes