355 arrow test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lkennard

355 arrow test

Post by lkennard »

Hello,
It seems from all the reviews on here that Black Eagle Executioners are the way to go with a Matrix 355.
I'm just about ready to order them, but I have a question about broad head accuracy.

I see some people go with 18", some with 20" and then some go with the 92gr. insert and some 110gr. I guess my question is, does anyone know how a fixed blade 100gr. broad head (slick trick) would fly out of any of these combinations?
I ran some calculations, and based off of what people are getting for average speeds, the FOC % comes out right about 21% for all the combinations. I just didn't want to cut arrows down to 18" or buy extra weights if it's not necessary.

Thanks for any help.
Significent

Re: 355 arrow test

Post by Significent »

I'm not an authority on the issue, but the Matrix is designed to shoot 18" bolts/arrows. If you get longer bolts, they'll stick out the front of the bow further than you may like. I'm shooting 18" BEEs, 92gr inserts, with mechanicals out of my 380 and they fly fine. If you have quality fixed broadheads, they should too. Others on the board have confirmed.
Matrix 380 Camo (Sheila)
Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun
18" Black Eagle Executioners
Swhacker Crossbow 100gr (see avatar)
GTFG Lumenoks
Bird

Post by Bird »

I just ordered a dozen from Jerry this morning. He recommended 18" BEE for my new 405, said they should shoot fine. We shall see in a few days ? :D
Mr. Cellophane

Post by Mr. Cellophane »

Today I took a drive to Danny Miller's shop in Sardis Ohio to buy some gear. While I was there I asked Danny about the Black Eagles that he sells. He said they have a 110 grain brass insert and I know he shoots a 100 gr. Slick Trick.
Dan Miller told me about FOC in Crossbow bolts in 2004 when I bought my first
Excalibur. Give him a call and ask him about the Black Eagles 740-483-2312.
lkennard

Post by lkennard »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning toward the 18" 110gr. right now. That would put my total arrow weight at about 398gr. I'm thinking that should be around 335 fps. Only problem is, the temps here in Michigan are dropping back down to below freezing for the rest of the month, so any shooting I do will unfortunately have to wait.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I am shooting the Slick Trick Mags out of a 20 in. arrow and they shoot great, the 18's should work fine also I've killed turkeys,coyote,bear,and several deer the last couple of years with the Slick Tricks they will get the job done with the Excals
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads