why that broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

roly

Re: why that broadhead

Post by roly »

I think when mechanicals first came out they weren't
very good and deserved the bad rap they got.

Todays mechanicals are really quite good, why I like them, to me they are easier to tune, I feel I get a more consistent flight with them and they normally offer a larger cutting surface.
I know there are still horror stories about mechanicals
but there are horror stories about fixed heads also.

I read this week that Slick Trick is making a mechanical BH, when one of the best fixed bh companies is making a mechanical it tells me which way the market is headed
Of coarse this is just my opinion and doesn't really matter
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

paulaboutform wrote:What's your motivation for using a certain broadhead?
Well, first and foremost is accuracy. If I can put it right where I want it to hit, just about any decent head will work. My ExoMax just doesn't like fixed blade heads unless I get the FOC way up there. Since I am a bigger fan of fast than I am of heavy, I chose to shoot a mechanical head. I've shot a lot of them. The only drawback I have found is durability due to the rocky terrain here. Most heads get one shot and they are trashed. For that reason, I tend to shoot cheaper heads within reason. I like the Rocket Sidewinder 1.5" and their Hammerhead 2" is awesome if you shy away from high angled shots. The Rage 3-blade is great, but I seldom drop $40 on three broadheads.

If my bow shot fixed heads accurately with a light arrow, that is what I would probably be using.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Pinesap

Post by Pinesap »

racking up points wrote:Snuffer SS or Montec G5s. I like one piece, cut on contact. They are also easy to re-sharpen. To me, they are very simple in design and solid. The Snuffers have a lifetime, no questions asked exchange policy, but I've never had to send one back. I've been using them for years with no issues. They both fly like field points too.
What gr G5 do you shoot? what bolt and length ?
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Pinesap wrote:
racking up points wrote:Snuffer SS or Montec G5s. I like one piece, cut on contact. They are also easy to re-sharpen. To me, they are very simple in design and solid. The Snuffers have a lifetime, no questions asked exchange policy, but I've never had to send one back. I've been using them for years with no issues. They both fly like field points too.
What gr G5 do you shoot? what bolt and length ?
100gr Montecs or Snuffers.

Arrows are .003" BEEs in 18" weighing 396gr- (110gr. brass inserts) and a Lumenock.

Fly like darts out to 55y and probably further, I just don't practice any longer than that. They group just like my field tips.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

G5 Strikers fly best out of my 380. Tried four different types, the steel force xbow phat head on par with G5 for accuracy and a heavy duty head.

I have seen too many expandable a fail to even consider them. I also use xbow mainly for moose.
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

Rage 2 blade 125's for me because they work. I have been hunting archery for almost 40 years now and these are the best shooting, and mega hole broadhead I have ever used. If you want a blood trail with a hole to match this is the broadhead. And now with the new blade retaining ring they have solved the problem of them opening up in your quiver. Like others said if it works for you don't change it and believe me they work for me..
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

i killed 13 deer with Rages and never had any fail but I switched to Slick Tricks 2 years ago and they shoot great along with some other fixed blade heads that I'm testing such as G5 montecs, G5 strikers, QAD Exodus, and Toxic broadheads. I've switched to fixed blade heads because they're cheaper to maintain and are trouble free when it comes to changing out blades. I'm looking for broadheads that fly well and leave a decent hole, they don't have to shoot exactly with my field points as long as they're close I can fine tune my scope in just a matter of minutes. I end of doing most of my practicing when season draws near with my go to broadheads.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Been satisfied with both Slick Tricks and Spitfires so far, both have killed with minimum trailing involved. But my newest bow requires longer arrow than what I currently use, and the Crossbow Swacker sees to be the longest, so it's getting a run.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Well I guess I'm the odd ball , I use Excalibur Boltcutters.
The two deer I have got never went more than 10 yards.
One was a 40 yard shot and yes I was lucky went 10 yards at .
The second was a 20 yard shot and he just stood there , then took ten steps and drooped dead.
I believe shot placement is the most important thing, not the choice of broadhead.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

All these broad heads mentioned here, are they made specifically for crossbows?
Thanks for any replies.
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

My g5 montecs are 125's are regular bh's for bows but shoot great out of our excals. :D my 125 rage are made for crossbows and fly dead on,but for a bear I wanted a strong and solid made BH,and found the g5's.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I been using the Excalibur bolt cutters too. :D
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

picked up an axiom 2yrs ago and have taken 4 deer using firbolts and bolt cutters.all shots were under 25yds and blood trails were very short.this year I picked up a 355 and may give BEAs and slick tricks a try.
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

bigrak wrote:All these broad heads mentioned here, are they made specifically for crossbows?
Thanks for any replies.
All mine are regular heads don't see any reason to use one that has made for crossbows on the pack since there mostly the same broadhead.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

Hester0305 wrote:
bigrak wrote:All these broad heads mentioned here, are they made specifically for crossbows?
Thanks for any replies.
All mine are regular heads don't see any reason to use one that has made for crossbows on the pack since there mostly the same broadhead.
Appreciate the help! :)
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin