Arrow woes....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cpirtle

Arrow woes....

Post by cpirtle »

I'm working on putting together some arrows for my Vixen that will be used for deer hunting this fall. My goal is to use locally available supplies and to have total weight ideally around the 350 grain mark.

Right now I have the following:

2216 Easton XX75 shaft (will cut to 18")
Satellite Archery D6 aluminum inserts (front and rear)
3" duravanes
100 grain field point or broad head

I don't have a scale, so can anyone tell me the weights of the duravanes and aluminum inserts? I'm guessing the total to be right under 400 grain which is heavier than I want.

Also, would I be better served by going with 2213's and/or carbon inserts with possibly a lighter point?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

2213 shafts would get you closer to your objective. 4" vanes at 7 degree offset will give you better flight with a broadhead. (I'm not sure 3" is enough other than for field points.)
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
devilsedge

Post by devilsedge »

As Woodman has pointed out I would go with either a 2213 or the Gold Tip Laser 2 Carbons cut down to 18" for the Vixen. I personaly would recomend the Carbons because they are stronger than the 2213 and will not bend the same, even though they are almost the same weight and size they also seem to pack a little more punch as well.

I would also recomend a little bite longer fletching to help stabilize the broadhead in flight. I also would not go to anything lighter than the 100gr head.
shoot straight stay late.
wabi.

Post by wabi. »

2216 Easton XX75 shaft (will cut to 18")
Satellite Archery D6 aluminum inserts (front and rear)
3" duravanes
100 grain field point or broad head
that combination will be closer to 400 grains. for 350 use 2213s & feathers

wabi - nli