Keeping your toys sharp

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: Keeping your toys sharp

Post by Pydpiper »

UPSMAN wrote:Pyd,
Can you elaborate on the learning curve a bit. I was looking at that thing yesterday on Youtube and thinking about getting one myself.
Certainly.
The tool consists of multiple belts, varying in grit from 80 to about 2000 GPI.( way more after market belt grits available) The 80 grit belts will eat a knife up in seconds, you can turn a big knife in to a small knife in just a few strokes.
It is very easy to whip the tip off of a knife, if you don't pay very close attention.
Learning curve is about holding the knife on the right angle, at the right time and drawing it at the right speed.
Once you get the right feel, they all flow like water, and the edge will be like nothing you have seen before.
But, if you hesitate on that belt, it will make a mess of a blade. The 80 grit belt removes material faster than you can imagine.
As the blade starts to conform to the contour of the belt you can progressively move down in grit, right to the supplied belt at about 2000 GPI.
Like any tool, it takes a lot of practice, and a steady hand. I wouldn't suggest starting with your best custom knife, but when you get the feel for the tool, it will make you happy.
There is no such thing as a "plug and play" sharpener. But this is as close a you will get.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string

Post by newbie »

I got the same thing about six months ago! Works wonders on anything with an edge! I only use the 6000 for knives.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Pydpiper wrote:
UPSMAN wrote:Pyd,
Can you elaborate on the learning curve a bit. I was looking at that thing yesterday on Youtube and thinking about getting one myself.
Certainly.
The tool consists of multiple belts, varying in grit from 80 to about 2000 GPI. The 80 grit belts will eat a knife up in seconds, you can turn a big knife in to a small knife in just a few strokes.
It is very easy to whip the tip off of a knife, if you don't pay very close attention.
Learning curve is about holding the knife on the he right angle, at the right time and drawing it at the right speed.
Once you get the right feel, they all flow like water, and the edge will be like nothing you have seen before.
But, if you hesitate on that belt, it will make a mess of a blade. The 80 grit belt removes material faster than you can imagine.
As the blade starts to take care the contour of the belt you can progressively move down in grit, right to the supplied belt at about 2000 GPI.
Like any tool, it takes a not of practice, and a steady hand. I wouldn't suggest starting with your best custom knife, but when you get the feel for the tool, it will make you happy.
There is no such thing as a "plug and play" sharpener. But this is as close a you will get.
Thanks for the info. Just one more question as to your reference to "holding the knife at proper angle." Doesn't the tool have pre-set angles from about 15-30 degress.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

UPSMAN wrote:
Thanks for the info. Just one more question as to your reference to "holding the knife at proper angle." Doesn't the tool have pre-set angles from about 15-30 degress.
The tool comes with two guides, in the photo in my first post the "outdoor" tool guide is installed. So yes, it does provide a surface to follow, but it is small, and can come off track easily, especially on a wider knife. You do get a feel for it though.
The speed at which the knife passes over the belt is crucial too, they recommend about 4" per second, but there is some play in that number depending on the knife. You can not run the tip through the belt as you draw the knife, it will disappear on you, learned that one the hard way.
So, to summarize, you have to maintain angle, pressure, speed and be sure to stop before the tip crosses the belt.
There is also a spam knife guide, it is a little easier to keep the knife on the guide with that one.
So there is a bit of skill involved, and a learning curve, but those efforts are worth it.
As Newbie mentioned, the fine grit is all that is needed. But initially, you will have to use more grit to reprofile the blade to a convex opposed to the straight cut or hollow grind your knife currently is.
Hope that answers your question.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another picture, with the guides.
The black guide is for spam knives, a bit of a wall on it makes it easier to maintain angle.
The grey one is the outdoor knife, scissor and serrated edge. Yesterday I did a pair of kid scissors, the rounded tip ones that cant seem to cut anything, now they can cut anything.
I have done a couple knives freehand, with no guide with great success, that belt head pivots to the side for doing axes, shovels, lawnmower blades..
And of course the belts, because of the spring loaded top roller the belts change out in just a couple seconds, self level and off you go.

WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Looks like a nifty little gadget Pyd.
Seems like it would touch up an edge real quick once you have the knife sharpened and ready to go.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Now just put some bells on the van and drive down my street, I've got some stuff for you to sharpen!
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

NewGuy wrote:Now just put some bells on the van and drive down my street, I've got some stuff for you to sharpen!
x2
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I appreciate the faith, but I am getting too much credit if you think I can drive and ring a bell at the same time. Let alone sharpen a knife while doing it.
On the other hand, I will be happy to make house calls to put an edge on. No cost of course.
I ran out of things here to sharpen.
WMU 91
Boo string