O/T I need a recipe for Salisbury steak

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Kegbelly

O/T I need a recipe for Salisbury steak

Post by Kegbelly »

I always get a bunch of Salisbury steaks when I have my deer processed, but we eat it up pretty quick.
I've got about 60 lb of burger in the freezer and I want to make Salisbury steak from some of it, anyone have a good recipe, or can recommend a commercial seasoning blend that you can mix with your burger? Many thanks!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Cherokeeson

Re: O/T I need a recipe for Salisbury steak

Post by Cherokeeson »

1 pound ground venison
1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth
2 tsp powdered beef bullion
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together the ground venison, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, powdered beef bullion, and Worcestershire sauce. Form into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the patties and onion in the oil until patties are browned. Remove the patties to a plate, and keep warm.
Sprinkle flour over the onions and drippings in the skillet. Stir in flour with a fork, scraping bits of beef off of the bottom as you stir. Gradually mix in the beef broth. Season with seasoned salt. Simmer and stir over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens. Turn heat to low, return patties to the gravy, cover, and simmer for another 15 minutes.
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Kegbelly wrote:I always get a bunch of Salisbury steaks when I have my deerfor anything processed, but we eat it up pretty quick.
I've got about 60 lb ofis burger i. .n the freezer and I want to make Salisbury steak from some of it, anyoyou. ne have a good recipe, or can recommend a commercial seasoning blend that you can mix with your burger? Many thanks!
Hi Kegbelly. Try a website called Allrecipes.com. They have a million recipes for anything you can imagine and it's free. I'm a total foody and that website is awesome. Let me know how it goes. I guarantee you'll find something perfect for you.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That recipe sounds pretty tasty, Cherokeeson, definitely gonna give that a try. Thanks for posting that!

Paul, I've been to that website before looking for other ideas, haven't searched it for salisbury steak though, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Matrix 380
Exomag
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Why dont you make Counrty fried steak your in the south ya know :lol: Salisbury Steak sounds so yuppyish :lol:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

JPjunkie wrote:Why dont you make Counrty fried steak your in the south ya know :lol: Salisbury Steak sounds so yuppyish :lol:
Yuppie or not I love salsibury steak! :lol: :lol: But I love cubed deer steaks, take and flour em up and fry em up in my Mom's old cast iron skillet, make some good milk gravy from the grease, mmm mmm! Can't beat it! :D
Matrix 380
Exomag
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Kegbelly wrote:
JPjunkie wrote:Why dont you make Counrty fried steak your in the south ya know :lol: Salisbury Steak sounds so yuppyish :lol:
Yuppie or not I love salsibury steak! :lol: :lol: But I love cubed deer steaks, take and flour em up and fry em up in my Mom's old cast iron skillet, make some good milk gravy from the grease, mmm mmm! Can't beat it! :D
Just funnin ya I like both myself But you cant beat a good country fried steak
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Kegbelly wrote:
Makin' real gravy is becoming a lost art. What was once a staple and a meal stretcher in the south is hard to find folks that can make it. The younger gen. thinks it comes from a packet! Doesnt even compare to "REAL" gravy.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Can you modify this using formed patties?

Swiss steak

Ingredients

2 pounds venison bottom round, trimmed of excess fat
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon drippings
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Cut the meat with the grain into 1/2-inch thick slices and season on both sides with the salt and pepper. Place the flour into a pie pan. Dredge the pieces of meat on both sides in the flour mixture. Tenderize the meat using a needling device, until each slice is 1/4-inch thick. Dredge the slices on both sides once more and set aside.

Add enough of the bacon drippings or vegetable oil to just cover the bottom of a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the steaks to the pan, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the steaks to a plate and repeat until all of the steaks have been browned.

Remove the last steaks from the pot and add the onions, garlic, and celery. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Next add the tomatoes, paprika, oregano, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth and stir to combine. Return the meat to the pot, submerging it in the liquid. Cover the pot and place it in the oven on the middle rack. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling apart.

Vegis cook down into a tasty gravy. Great for freezing extras and using cuts from older deer.

PS If tomato taste is too acidy, a teaspoon of Baking Soda will tame it..but it will foam briefly, so do that before finishing.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That sounds good Cossack, would probably work good with burger patties, thanks!
Matrix 380
Exomag